Six years ago, GM John Elway landed Peyton Manning, the biggest free-agent prize in National Football League history, following his release by the Colts and a series of neck fusion surgeries. The No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 draft signed with Minnesota in 2016 and missed most of the season after undergoing surgery to fix a torn meniscus.
Denver will most likely take the best available defensive player at No. 6 then look to free agency to add to the O-line so Keenum isn't running for his life and/or scraping himself off the turn 10-15 times a game this season. The 30-year-old had a career year in 2017, throwing for 3,547 yards with 22 touchdown passes and just seven interceptions while completing 67.6 percent of his passes.More news: Shoe memorial represents thousands of victims of U.S. gun violence
All three quarterbacks were draft picks by Elway, the Hall of Fame quarterback who has only had success at quarterback in free agency. After reaching the peak of Super Bowl 50 two years ago, the Broncos have sunk on the heels of two playoff-less seasons.
Osweiler is a free agent, so the battle for the Broncos' backup job behind Keenum was between Siemian and Lynch.
Although Kirk Cousins has been touted as the top quarterback to hit free agency this year, the Broncos, after extensive evaluation of all their options, felt more comfortable with Keenum.More news: TDP continues protest in Parliament demanding special status for AP
The biggest question now for the Broncos is how the team plans to use with the No. 5 pick in the draft now that Keenum is in the fold. "Obviously, we have to get better at that (quarterback) position".
While the Broncos are in transition, including on defense following the trade of cornerback Aqib Talib to the Los Angeles Rams last week, Elway doesn't want to rebuild, and finding a capable starting quarterback is the biggest piece - especially when the rest of the division is settled at the position.
Using ESPN's advanced Total QBR formula, Keenum ranked at 69.7 past year. The importance of ball security can not be overstated after the Broncos' quarterbacks fired 22 picks last season.More news: President Trump visits troops, promising pay raise - and maybe 'space force'
- Vincent Kompany Motivated to Win Premier League Title Against Manchester United
- Oklahoma to use nitrogen gas to execute death row inmates
- Texas Strikes Back Against Sanctuary Cities
- Amazon Alexa calling and messaging comes to Fire, Android and iOS tablets
- Macron and Modi kick-start International Solar Alliance
- Startup Company To Build 3D Print Homes For $10000
- New Mexico's jobless rate fell to 5.9 percent in January
- Williams sisters to face each other in Indian Wells Masters third round
- Trump to Host Saudi Crown Prince Next Week
- 30th anniversary of Pi Day celebrated with a tasty pie Google doodle