Deadline reports that DuVernay, whose work on A Wrinkle in Time made her "the first woman of color to helm a $100 million-plus live-action film", has been signed by Warner Bros. and DC to helm an all-new feature-length adaptation of The New Gods, Jack Kirby's iconic 1970s-and-onward comic book franchise.More news: Miley Cyrus sued for $300 million over hit single 'We Can't Stop'
There is no connection to the other DC worlds being exploited for film right now by Warner Bros, where studio boss Toby Emmerich and his newly installed DC production president Walter Hamada are moving forward with new approach to filmmakers on their DC-based fare.
Several comic book creators have tried to update the New Gods, but only a few (including Tom King and Mitch Gerads' recent Mister Miracle miniseries) have been able to humanize the characters. The New Gods came into existence after the world of the gods of classic mythology were destroyed during Ragnarok.More news: Sky suspend Jamie Carragher after spitting incident
Jack Kirby created the New Gods in 1971 as part of his "Fourth World Saga", a group of gods including Darkseid, Orion, Highfather, Steppenwolf and Big Barda. War ensues. There is a rich universe of extraordinary characters for DuVernay to play with here. The Highfather rules New Genesis, often portrayed as a heavenly planet of paradise. At heart, a savage warrior, he possesses a nobility of spirit that allows him to aspire for more than just conquest and violence - which might be good, considering he is also destined to face his father in battle and may, eventually, take over rulership of his father's planet Apokolips. The New Gods will have a similar budget, and now "there is no connection to the [studio's] other DC worlds". This will be a fun one to follow. Perhaps the most interesting, though, is Granny Goodness, who trains orphans to become soldiers in Darkseid's many armies.More news: Queen Elizabeth has released an official statement about Prince Harry's wedding
- Texas Strikes Back Against Sanctuary Cities
- Met Office issues yellow weather warning for snow
- Tottenham can cope without in-form Kane, says Pochettino
- Fitbit targets smartwatch mass market with new Versa device
- Mark Hamill Was Emotional After Seeing Yoda Puppet On Last Jedi Set
- Oklahoma to use nitrogen gas to execute death row inmates
- Collier and Lee Counties Among Healthiest in Florida
- US imposes sanctions on 19 Russians for election interference
- Raspberry Pi Model B gets more power, faster connectivity
- 30th anniversary of Pi Day celebrated with a tasty pie Google doodle