Congress had on Sunday announced names of 10 candidates for the biennial Rajya Sabha elections in seven states, including Abhishek Manu Singhvi from West Bengal and senior journalist Kumar Ketkar from Maharashtra.
Meanwhile, candidates from other political parties who have filed their nomination papers include BSP's Bhim Rao Ambedkar, Mahesh Chandra Sharma of the Jan Sangh, and Jaya Bachchan of the Samajwadi Party.
The JD (S)' request to the Congress to support its candidate has not yielded positive results with the former pressing for three MPs to be nominated to negate the seat loss from Uttar Pradesh.More news: Russian Federation should go away, shut up, - UK Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson
Vijaya Rahatkar, who is Chairperson of Maharshtra State Women's Commission, was the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party's fourth candidate for the March 23 elections.
But Ms Rahatkar withdrew her candidature today, ensuring unopposed election of the rest.
"The BJP nominees include Javadekar, former Maharashtra chief minister Narayan Rane and former Kerala BJP president V Muraleedharan", Bapat said.
Just minutes before the deadline for withdrawal of nominations was to end at 3 p.m, BJP's Kiritsinh Rana and Congress-backed independent Valera withdrew their nominations for the Rajya Sabha poll.More news: Activision may contribute to the battle royale craze
In Gujarat, four candidates have been elected unopposed to the state's four Rajya Sabha seats.
Banerjee had stated on March 9 that her party would support Singhvi in the Rajya Sabha elections from the state, even before the Congress' announcement of the candidature.
Flatly turning down the request from Opposition JD (S) to extend support for its industrialist candidate B M Farooq for the Rajya Sabha seat, the ruling Congress party has made a decision to try its luck by gambling on winning the third out of the four Rajya Sabha seats from the Karnataka Legislative Assembly.More news: Ravens Ink 3-Year Deal With Michael Crabtree
- Teaser released for 'Shadow of the Tomb Raider'
- Verizon's Samsung Galaxy S8, S8
- United Nations gets $100M in new funds for Palestine aid at Rome conference
- Met Office issues yellow weather warning for snow
- The new 'Infinity War' trailer is out, and WOW
- Broadcom ends bid for Qualcomm after President Trump nixes deal
- Spotify Working on India Launch, Says CEO Daniel Ek
- Teddy Bridgewater plans to sign with Jets
- Tom Crean finalizing deal to become next Georgia coach
- Google Assistant now talks in Hindi