In some case they'll be full levels, while in others they'll allow users to get straight into the main game without needing to go through the app installation and set up first. Now, the search giant is adding games to the mix.
While it's safe to say that installing an app isn't a big barrier for most mobile users at this point, there's definitely something to be said for letting players experience a game before giving up valuable storage space to a full install. As you're trialing a game, Google will display an "Install now!" button to install the full game on your Android device if you so choose.More news: Three killed by blast in Afghan capital Kabul
In addition to today's Google Play Instant GDC announcement, Zynga will host an industry panel on building entertainment experiences for emerging mobile platforms on Tuesday, March 20 as part of the GDC Mobile Summit. Indeed, many users actually install a game and then never open it. Now, however, it will be coming to video games in the Play Store.
Google on Monday announced Google Play Instant, bringing the ability for Android users to tap and try a game without downloading it first.
With all the great games available on Google Play, we want to make discovery easier and remove friction during the install process.More news: Andria Zafirakou from north London wins $1m 'world's best teacher' prize
Behind-the-scenes, the Instant Apps framework now better supports games with a higher 10MB APK size limit, progressive download support for executable code and game assets, and support for NDK and game engines. The move possibly comes as Google is looking to improve the security features with Android P, which the firm is also doing by blocking idle apps from accessing your smartphones' camera and mic.
Unsurprisingly, some developers now make better use of that limited file size than others.
The demos have already started to translate into more downloads for game developers. Google also said game developers would be able to use customized renderings and other data from Maps inside games. We'll also show you news and YouTube videos related to your favorite games to help you boost your skills and become a game master.More news: Durant Out for at Least 2 Weeks with Rib Cartilage Fracture
- 'Black Panther' Beats 'Tomb Raider's' Opening Weekend Box Office Haul
- Frustrated Trump lashes out at special counsel Mueller
- Robert Mueller Subpoenas Trump Business For Russia, Other Documents
- Patrick's Day brings drunk driving patrols
- Kono seeks U.S. help over abduction issue ahead of Trump-Kim summit
- Aung San Suu Kyi cancels Sydney speaking event, 'not feeling well'
- White House won't say if Putin is a friend or a foe
- Najib in Sydney for ASEAN-Australia Special Summit
- Putin easily wins another six-year term
- Colts, Jets swap first round picks in 2018 National Football League draft