Les Bleus will prove a stern test, though, having lost just once in their eight worldwide outings, although that defeat came last time out against Colombia as they went down 3-2 on.
Pogba came to the fore again after the break, drawing a foul from Aleksandr Erokhin and duly curling home an eye-catching, long-range strike from the set-piece to double his team's advantage.
France's midfielder Paul Pogba (C) celebrates with teammates after scoring the team's second goal during an global friendly football match between Russian Federation and France at the Saint Petersburg Stadium in Saint Petersburg on March 27, 2018.More news: Strong debut for Chinese oil futures
Pogba's second spell at Manchester United hasn't gone as well as he or the club had hoped.
If the 19-year-old can carry on that sort of display and match up to Zidane's performances, France will be one of the favourites for the World Cup.
Watch Pogba's free-kick in the video below.
Half-time substitute Igor Smolnikov picked out Smolov with a superb diagonal pass and the latter kept his composure to finish at the far post.More news: Trump needs Congress's approval to have Pentagon pay for Mexico wall
Russian Federation halved the deficit against the run of play through Fedor Smolov (68), but Mbappe grabbed his second with seven minutes remaining, striking through the legs of Russian Federation goalkeeper Andrey Lunev.
"It was heated between us a few times, but Jose will never attack people he doesn't like,"Drogba told Telefoot".
Russia's home opener at the World Cup will be against Saudi Arabia, taking place on the 14th of June.More news: Co-founder of Uber's self-driving unit leaving company
- Easter chart shows United Kingdom covered in snow over Bank Holiday weekend
- PUBG giving away free weapon skin to celebrate first anniversary
- Biter-gate: Tiffany Haddish reports somebody bit Beyonce
- Former Disney Star Caroline Sunshine Just Joined the Trump Administration
- Six year old free trade agreement overhauled by USA and South Korea
- Iowa family died from inhaling toxic gas at Mexican resort
- Iran denies providing Houthi rebels with ballistic missiles
- Nvidia Declines After Suspending Self-Driving Car Testing
- SoftBank to invest in solar power project in Saudi Arabia
- Missing Model Adea Shabani's Body Found in Shallow Grave in North California