Some of these cases involved immigrants who faced deportation or who had already been deported.
"Governor Jerry 'Moonbeam" Brown pardoned 5 criminal illegal aliens whose crimes include (1) Kidnapping and Robbery (2) Badly beating wife and threatening a crime with intent to terrorize (3) Dealing drugs. "Is this really what the great people of California want?", the President tweeted, along with a tag to Fox News.More news: Mega Millions numbers: Friday's $521M winning lottery ticket sold in NJ
Mr. Trump visited California in mid-March to inspect border wall prototypes created to keep out undocumented immigrants.
Sokha Chhan and Phann Pheach, whose families reportedly fled the genocidal Khmer Rouge, are facing deportation to Cambodia.
Brown's pardons do not automatically stop deportation proceedings, but they eliminate the convictions on which authorities based their deportation. All of those granted pardons served their sentences "years ago", and "earned" their pardons, said a statement from Brown's office.More news: Return of Malala : Swat welcomes its native daughter
But Brown calls this lawsuit a "publicity stunt" by the administration as it continues to push Trump's "America First" agenda.
California passed a law last October that, among other things, prohibits local law enforcement from asking individuals about their legal status. Maher served five years in state prison and a year in federal immigration custody.
Chhan had served 364 days in jail after being convicted of two counts of misdemeanor domestic violence in 2002.More news: Buhari's visit: Lagos PDP demands explanation on 'unsolicited' holiday
Also pardoned was Daniel Maher, who served five years in prison stemming from the 1994 armed robbery of a San Jose auto parts store. Pheach served six months in jail after he was convicted of possessing drugs and obstructing a police officer in 2005, The Sacramento Bee reported. Mena was convicted in 2003 of possessing illegal drugs. He now works at the nonprofit Ecology Center in Berkeley and assists at-risk youth.
- City Pols Blast Trump Administration Decision to Add Citizenship Question to Census
- Sloane Stephens Edges Pass Ostapenko To Win Miami title
- Ibrahimovic speaks on match-winning brace on LA Galaxy debut
- Herd Track and Field With Eight Athletes in Qualifying Position
- Walker sets special election date after losing court fight
- British PM gears up in lead-up to Brexit
- Trump blasts Amazon for hurting the postal service. Is that true?
- Russian MoD: Drop Test of Newest Heavy ICMB Successfully Conducted
- PUBG giving away free weapon skin to celebrate first anniversary
- Trump Fires Veterans Affairs Secretary Shulkin Over Corruption Charges