James, a model of consistency since entering the National Basketball Association in 2003, has now scored in double-digits in 867 successive regular season games.
James matched Jordan's 17-year-old mark Wednesday night against the Jordan-owned Charlotte Hornets when he scored on a powerful alley-oop dunk on a pass from J.R. Smith in the second quarter.
During a stoppage in play, the Cavs recognized James in the arena and he was awarded the game ball, which he handed to the team's head of security.
"It's not like I set out to say that I want to be the No. 1 in scoring 10 points, double digits or consecutive games or whatever that and whatnot", James said.More news: Paul Pogba follows inch-perfect assist with stunning free-kick for France
James's effort propelled the Cavs to a bounce-back win after a disappointing defeat to the Heat in Miami on Tuesday - when they produced a season-low 79 points.
Jordan's streak spanned from March 25, 1986, during his second season in the league, to December 26, 2001, which was 26 games into his first season with the Washington Wizards after spending the previous three years in retirement.
James entered Friday's game against New Orleans sharing the mark with Jordan, one of his boyhood heroes. In his 15th season, James is leading the league in minutes and top-three in both points and assists per game.
James last failed to score in double digits on January 5, 2007, against Milwaukee.More news: British PM gears up in lead-up to Brexit
Jordan never finished a playoff game with fewer than 10 points.
He added, "If you look at it I think it has been 11 years I have been able to accomplish this feat".
"My motivation is love of the game", he said. With 21 points he surpassed Dell Curry (9,839 points) as the Hornets' all-time leading scorer. Among current players, James Harden is second to James with 257 games, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.
James has scored 6,163 points in postseason play, and will get a chance to build upon that total when the NBA Playoffs get underway in two weeks.More news: Centre issues notice to Facebook on data breach
"I think I fell in love with the game because of Mike, just because of what he was able to accomplish", James said past year after breaking Jordan's playoff scoring record.
- United Nations calls for inquiry after Gaza's most violent day in 4 years
- Trump Fires Veterans Affairs Secretary Shulkin Over Corruption Charges
- Trump blasts Amazon for hurting the postal service. Is that true?
- PUBG giving away free weapon skin to celebrate first anniversary
- California governor catches flak from Trump for pardons
- How can you reduce the data Facebook collects?
- Mega Millions numbers: Friday's $521M winning lottery ticket sold in NJ
- Herd Track and Field With Eight Athletes in Qualifying Position
- Ibrahimovic speaks on match-winning brace on LA Galaxy debut
- Sloane Stephens Edges Pass Ostapenko To Win Miami title