The Duke of Edinburgh had missed a number of royal engagements where he was expected to attend.
The prince announced in May that he was retiring from most public duties after decades of royal service.
Prince Philip is scheduled to have surgery at the King Edward VII Hospital on Wednesday.More news: Cynthia Nixon, Democratic Candidate for New York Governor, Supports Legal Weed
In his customary good humor, Philip joked to a well-wisher who said he was sorry the duke of Edinburgh was standing down shortly after the retirement announcement by responding, "Standing down?"
Philip retired from public life a year ago but has since appeared several times at royal engagements alongside the queen.
However, his health has been an ongoing issue since a year ago, when he was admitted to hospital in June for an infection.More news: 'Clearly stupid': Florida school shooting survivors forced to carry clear backpacks
The Queen had marked Easter Sunday without Prince Philip at this years' service. He will undergo planned surgery on his hip on Tuesday.
Officially, Queen Elizabeth has supported Prince Philip's decision to retire.
They recently celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary. Philip, who at the time had Greek and Danish royal titles, abandoned his previous titles to marry the future Queen.
After the second world war, he got married to Elizabeth II in 1947 and abandoned his Greek and Danish royal titles.More news: Markram century puts hosts on top before Australia fightback
The couple had four children together, Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, and Prince Edward.
- Dutch lawyer is first sentenced in Mueller's US-Russia probe
- Woman playing with guns shoots man while on Facebook Live
- 1146 rebels, families evacuate Douma district in Syria's Eastern Ghouta
- Sky News could be sold to Disney under new plan
- California governor catches flak from Trump for pardons
- Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, anti-apartheid campaigner, dies
- Railway Strikes Aim to Bring Macron's Reforms to a Halt
- Trump launches Twitter tirade and declares 'DACA is dead'
- 'We'll demand Ferguson fight as long as he's alive' - Khabib Nurmagomedov's coach
- Trump's Amazon Tweets Dent His Stock Market Bragging Rights