No significant damage was reported, but some bricks fell from a chimney at a historic ranch on one of the islands.
"Los Angeles Fire Department Chief Ralph Terrazas explained the section wasldquo;earthquake mode", which he included was routine protocol.
That quake was reportedly felt as far south as Santa Maria, the USGS said. It struck near the Channel Islands, about 40 miles from Oxnard, Calif.More news: Malaysian PM announces dissolution of parliament amid crackdown on freedom of speech
Thursday's quake was the strongest to hit the area since a 6.0-magnitude quake struck in 1981, the Los Angeles Times reported, citing Egill Hauksson, a seismologist at Caltech.
People took to social media to document the quake affecting their area.
Officials from various emergency-response agencies said residents should use the quake as a reminder to formulate an escape plan, prepare and natural disaster kit for their homes and cars and follow the advice to "drop, cover and hold on" when shaking occurs.More news: Woman arrested after allegedly shooting at Mid City home, police say
Thankfully, the same is true for the people in the Santa Cruz region who felt the shaker on the mainland, though it was the largest felt in the Golden State in several years.
"It's a regular sort of natural disaster that we expect somewhere in Southern California", Jones told KTLA. "We now have no reports of damage or injuries", fire department spokeswoman Margaret Stewart said.
"We would expect aftershocks, and there is the potential for some triggered seismicity", Andrews said.More news: Fortnite gets v3.4 Content Update with Vending Machines
- 'Clearly stupid': Florida school shooting survivors forced to carry clear backpacks
- Apple reportedly working on iPhone touchless gesture controls
- Meghan Markle just let slip her special trip with Prince Harry
- Remains Of Senator Bukar Laid To Rest In Daura
- Stormy Daniels: Trump says he did not know about $130000 payment
- Above-Average Hurricane Season Predicted For 2018
- Dreamers' deal is dead, says Trump
- Worldwide React to Ronaldo's Wonder Goal
- John Cena Responds to Dwayne Johnson's Threat and Their 'Real Rivalry'
- Mariners' James Paxton, eagle landing perch, was just 'trying not to panic'