Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak Friday announced the dissolution of parliament for an election that will pose one of the sternest tests of his ruling coalition for 60 years, due to a massive financial scandal and a challenge from his one-time mentor and former leader Mahathir Mohamad.
"The king has recommended for parliament to be dissolved effective Saturday, April 7", Najib said in a special announcement.
The government has indeed implemented an inclusive and comprehensive transformation which has yielded at least seven successes for the people and country since 2009, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
The election commission will announce in the coming days the date for the polls, which are expected early May.More news: Apple reportedly working on iPhone touchless gesture controls
He's also suspected of trying to manipulate the popular vote after backing legislation to redraw the electoral map.
Mr Najib's United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) party heads the ruling coalition that has held power since Malaysia's independence in 1957.
There are 222 parliamentary seats and 505 state states to be contested in this coming election. He denies any wrongdoing and has been cleared by the attorney-general who said the money was a donation from the Saudi royal family.More news: Magnitude 5.3 quake strikes off Southern California coast
Najib has clamped down on dissent, sacking critics from his cabinet and party who questioned his involvement in 1MDB.
Najib's five-year term officially ends on June 24, but the prime minister can dissolve parliament anytime before the end of his term with the king's assent and call an election.
With the common goal of taking down Najib, Mahathir has joined hands with his former deputy and jailed opposition leader, Anwar Ibrahim, ending a bitter feud that had shaped the country's political narrative over two decades.More news: Mariners' James Paxton, eagle landing perch, was just 'trying not to panic'
- Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, anti-apartheid campaigner, dies
- Worldwide React to Ronaldo's Wonder Goal
- Remains Of Senator Bukar Laid To Rest In Daura
- Woman arrested after allegedly shooting at Mid City home, police say
- Prince Philip Is in the Hospital for Hip Surgery
- Duke of Edinburgh undergoes successful hip surgery
- Fortnite gets v3.4 Content Update with Vending Machines
- 'Warrant issued' for Conor McGregor after UFC 223 attack
- The gender pay gap is widest in these industries
- Kevin Durant refutes Kerr's notion that Warriors did not care