With de Villiers blazing all guns at one point their run graph was looking past 200 but part-time off-spinner Rana produced twin dismissals in two balls - De Villiers and Kohli - to reduce RCB for 127/4 in 14.2 overs.More news: Oxlade-Chamberlain silences doubters for sweet redemption
Rana, who dismissed AB de Villiers and Virat Kohli off consecutive deliveries, hit 25-ball 34 (2x4, 2x6) as he along with the skipper saw through the critical phase.
KKR: Chris Lynn, Robin Uthappa, Dinesh Karthik, Kamlesh Nagarkoti, Nitish Rana, Piyush Chawla, Tom Curran, Sunil Narine, Vinay Kumar, Kuldeep Yadav, Javon Searles. Kohli and AB de Villiers will once again form a strong top-order with 2,212 runs together in 53 innings, including seven century stands. He took charge immediately, launching Kuldeep for two sixes.
Chris Woakes, albeit expensive, impressed with three wickets and Umesh Yadav took two but Kolkata still reached the target in the penultimate over. With Virat Kohli's aggressive statements and press conferences prior to the tournament, RCB will definitely start as the favourites against a slightly weak and injury prone Kolkata-based team. If McCullum is fit I expect QDK to miss out and that may not be the best option but I'll still take the Royal Challengers at [1.77] as opposed to KKR at [2.24].More news: US slaps sanctions on Putin's allies
KKR vs RCB Final Scorecard. He was helped along the way by Virat Kohli's strategy of using Yuzvendra Chahal in the first over and persisting with spin throughout the Powerplay, often without a long-off in place. Narine stopped McCullum at 43 by bowling him. With this effort de Villiers became the third-highest six-hitter in IPL history. Rana, not getting another over was, however, bit shocking.
Kohli and Co. finished at the bottom of the pile last time and since the start of the IPL have come close to laying their hands on the elusive trophy thrice - in 2009, 2011 and 2016. Interestingly, they included Rinku Singh in the team who had rocked the domestic season with the bat this year and also picked Mitchell Johnson purely on the basis of pace.More news: Jacob Zuma corruption case postponed to 8 June
- Celtics routed by Raptors
- Black Panther swims past Titanic at the domestic box office
- Brazil court authorizes arrest warrant for ex-President Lula
- MI bows out in Frozen Four tourney
- CWG 2018: Weightlifting gold rush continues, Punam Yadav claims 5th for India
- EK and Steve Kyler Discuss Kyrie Irving's Injury
- Key messages for World Health Day 2018
- Feds seize Backpage.com, websites in enforcement action
- Cities and States Mount Court Challenge to Census Question on Citizenship
- Mariners' James Paxton, eagle landing perch, was just 'trying not to panic'