Accused Toronto serial killer Bruce McArthur has been charged with a seventh count of first-degree murder, as police announced that the remains of three of his alleged victims have now been identified.
Previous identified victims were Andrew Kinsman, Soroush Mahmudi, and Skandaraj Navaratnam. He also said police plan to investigate 75 properties linked to McArthur starting next month. McArthur had already been charged with the first-degree murder of six other men who are believed to have died between 2010 and 2017. Police are expected to update the public at 1:30 p.m. on three aspects of the investigation. McArthur appeared in court by video to face the new charge, which was laid in the death of Faizi, 42. "At least one set of remains has yet to be identified and the remains of Majeed Kayhan have not been identified".
Idsinga said Faisi, who was 42 when he disappeared on December 29, 2010, was one of the three men whose disappearances were linked through Project Houston, a task force launched by Toronto police in 2012, to look into the disappearances of the three men from Toronto's Gay Village. A Crown lawyer said outside court that the charge relates to the death of Abdulbasir Faizi. He said police have received hundreds of tips, but have yet to identify the man in the image.
August 2017 - Police launch Project Prism to investigate the disappearances of Esen and Kinsman. McArthur popped up onto police radar in the fall of 2017 as part of Project Prism. As of now, the charges against McArthur haven't been proven in court.More news: OurMumuDonDo Movement Says Never Again To President Buhari's Re-Election In Nigeria
Clad in an orange jumpsuit, McArthur spoke only once during the appearance to say his name.
Sgt. Hank Idsinga said police have identified three more of the at least seven sets of remains found in planters at a midtown Toronto property where McArthur worked as a landscaper and stored tools.
In January, McArthur was arrested and charged with the murders of Esen and Kinsman.
Idsinga said they are looking into another 15 other cold cases dating back to the 1975 but have not found a connection.More news: Japan gets new coach for World Cup
The city's police board has also approved an external review, requested by Mayor John Tory, that will look into how the force handled the cases of men missing from the gay village.
Police also released an enhanced version of a photograph of a dead man they are trying to identify. Police Chief Mark Saunders has also initiated an internal review that will become public, and has called for some form of public inquiry.
February 13, 2018 - Police say excavation at the home's backyard turned up no human remains, but suggest they may "revisit the scene" when the weather warms up.More news: Kroger Co (KR) Shares Declined While Waterstone Capital Management LP Decreased Stake
- Bayern Munich vs. Sevilla Preview: It's not over till it's over
- Capital Growth Management LP Takes Position in Walmart Inc (NYSE:WMT)
- Prince William and Kate waiting until birth to discover baby's gender
- Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton in ANOTHER row after Bahrain GP
- Four Iranian fighters killed in air strike on Syrian air base
- Commonwealth Games 2018: Shooter Ankur Mittal wins bronze in Men's Double Trap
- Juventus tough rival, says Real Madrid defender
- Richie Incognito tweets "I'm done"
- Donald Trump cancels visit to Bogotá
- Lakers' Andre Ingram receives huge praise from National Basketball Association players for impressive debut