Remember, the reason House Speaker has become the worst job in Washington is the complete impossibility of managing the Republican conference. The Democratic Party controls 192 seats. Ryan will retire in January after serving his full term, Fox News reported citing a statement from his office.
"I'm thankful for all Paul has done for the NRCC and am confident he has set us on a path to keep our majority", he added.
He became Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney's running mate in 2012.More news: Roma president plunges into Italian fountain after Barca miracle
President Trump praised Ryan for his time in public service and offered support for his future.
Although the speaker will not seek re-election, he will not be stepping down either.
Both men spoke at the closed-door meeting on Wednesday, delivering tributes to Mr Ryan.
"He is answering a higher calling, and that is to his family", said Rep. Mark Walker, R-N.C. But I will also be leaving incredibly proud of what we have accomplished.More news: Take Two: Cubs Prepare For Postponed Home Opener
At a time of insecurity regarding their majority in the House of Representatives, the news will likely prompt a scramble among Republicans for the key post. "Progressives need to fight as tirelessly on behalf of working people as Speaker Ryan did trying to destroy them". "And clearly that's what she's intending on doing and they're raising a lot of money on their side".
"This is going to make every Republican donor believe the House can't be held", the Republican said. Members of the ultra-conservative House Freedom Caucus griped that Ryan was too quick to compromise with Democrats.
That said, Ryan can feel free to let the doorknob hit him in the ass as he exits.
"I wanted to share with you a little of what I just told my colleagues a few minutes ago". "Everyone will start jockeying for position immediately. They won't wait for nine months".More news: OnePlus6 front panel leaked on Chinese website
- USA establishing two military bases in Manbij, northern Syria
- Japan gets new coach for World Cup
- Arsenal vs Southampton: Welbeck scores twice as Gunners win 3-2
- Israeli police: Palestinian who tried to stab Israeli shot
- Pep Guardiola admits Manchester City require the flawless game against Liverpool
- ED set to chargesheet Nirav Modi, Mehul Choksi in PNB fraud case
- Man Dies In Blaze At Trump Tower
- Donald Trump cancels visit to Bogotá
- Commonwealth Games 2018: Shooter Ankur Mittal wins bronze in Men's Double Trap
- Iranian President says United States will regret if it scraps n