Alvarez first tested positive for the prohibited substance Clenbuterol on February 17, and the commission chose to backdate his ban to that date.
Golovkin called him a liar and implied he had always been a doper and accused him even further, stating he was doping during their first bout as well.More news: Lady 'Cats win two games as season end nears
After pulling out of the fight against unified world champion Golovkin, Alvarez insisted he was not guilty of any wrongdoing. And that should be financially convenient for Las Vegas, as it keeps Golovkin-Alvarez II lined up for Mexican Independence Day weekend in September, if all parties are so inclined.
Golovkin never stopped training and clearly has no interest in cutting Alvarez any slack, nor does he give much credence to Alvarez's stated explanation for two positive drug tests. With AP Photos.Gennady Golovkin finally has an opponent for his May 5 fight. "If Triple G is successful May 5, then the biggest fight in the sport of boxing is still Triple G and Canelo, and that's the fight we would try to make".
That could set up a rematch with Golovkin (37-0-1) in September, one year removed from their draw in Alvarez's last fight.More news: Lowest jobless rate since 1975 fails to spur wage growth
He blamed the positive test on tainted meat from his native Mexico.
Alvarez was not in attendance, but will be eligible to return to boxing from August 17.
"Alvarez admits that the presence of clenbuterol in his urinalyses samples constitutes a violation of the commission's anti-doping regulations, regardless of whether or not he intentionally, knowingly, or negligently ingested the prohibited substance". Canelo and Golden Boy Promotions respect the rules of Nevada and are therefore satisfied with the settlement agreement reached today.More news: Trump morally unfit to be President: James Comey
- 2nd-Grader Brings Knife To School, Cuts 3 Students
- Redskins hosted underrated OG for visit ahead of 2018 National Football League draft
- Tesla shuts down Model 3 production to "improve automation"
- Scientists Accidentally Create Super Enzyme That Can Devour Plastic Pollution
- Liquidation firms win bid for Bon-Ton
- Yankees Hitters Prayed for Rain, but Rick Porcello Just Pitched Through It
- Alien diamonds hit Earth in meteorite
- Erdogan calls snap elections on June 24
- Stormy Daniels releases sketch of man she says threatened her over Trump
- Aguero set to miss rest of season after 'minor' knee operation