Wieber, a gold medalist and member of the "Fierce Five" USA Gymnastics team at the 2012 Olypmics, and Dantzscher, a bronze medalist at the 2000 Olympics in Syndey - testified before the U.S. Senate's Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security Wednesday in Washington, D.C.
Maroney, who helped the U.S. gymnastics team known as the Fierce Five to the team gold at the London Olympics, told the Today Show's Savannah Guthrie that the abuse by Nassar started at her first meeting with him when she was 13 and continued for years afterwards. And he didn't say it in a way that was, like, mean or anything like that. It is her first in-depth interview since she revealed previous year that she was a victim of Nassar.
Nassar, 54, is serving a 60-year prison sentence for federal child pornography crimes and was convicted earlier this year of 10 sex assaults in MI, where he also faces a prison term of 40 to 175 years.More news: Elon Musk admits that humans are better than robots
Wieber has complained that Nasser - who was accused of sexually assaulting young women and girls under the guise of treating them - acted as a friend, bringing her and others food and candy. Maroney has also previously stated that USA Gymnastics in particular tried to keep her quiet about the abuse.
"Dr. Nassar was not a doctor, he in fact is, was, and forever shall be, a child molester, and a monster of a human being", Maroney wrote.
"Many adults at USA Gymnatics, the United States Olympics Committee, Michigan State Univeristy and in various gyms kept Larry Nassar's secret", Datzcher said. "The people and organizations who are responsible need to accept responsibility for the pain they caused me and my sister survivors".More news: Stalker arrested outside Taylor Swift's home had knife, rope, and ammo
Maroney, the former Olympic gymnast who spoke Tuesday during a luncheon for the New York Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children at The Pierre hotel in New York, New York, sat down with TODAY's Savannah Guthrie to discuss Nassar's assault.
She added: "I didn't know that these were all grooming techniques that he used to manipulate and brainwash me into trusting him". All they cared about was money, medals, and it didn't seem like anything else.More news: Actor Harry Anderson found dead
- Liquidation firms win bid for Bon-Ton
- Goldman Sachs Earnings: 12 Things to Know About Q1
- Amazon Fire TV Edition TVs are now a thing
- Center Hit in US Attack Produced Cancer Drugs: Medical Head
- Essex County's air pollution lessening, report says
- Scientists Accidentally Create Super Enzyme That Can Devour Plastic Pollution
- Arizona politicians react to former first lady Barbara Bush's passing
- SpaceX Falcon 9 Ready To Launch NASA's TESS Satellite From Cape Canaveral
- Canelo Alvarez hit with 6-month suspension, report says
- Tesla shuts down Model 3 production to "improve automation"