The University of Notre Dame and University of Alabama, featuring two of the most storied traditions in college football, have agreed to a two-year, home-and-home football series beginning in 2028. The Tide won that game, but trail in the series 5-2.
Two of college football's most recognizable brands will get together for a two-game series a decade from now. Notre Dame will have first hosting honors, with Alabama set to take on the Irish in South Bend on September 2, 2028. "We are thrilled to join Alabama in making sure that continues to happen".More news: Stalker arrested outside Taylor Swift's home had knife, rope, and ammo
The schools announced Thursday that the Crimson Tide will open the 2028 season in South Bend, Indiana, vs. the Fighting Irish on September 2, and the two traditional powers will reunite the following year in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, on September 1, 2029. The affair will play out in Tuscaloosa the year after, with that contest set for September 1, 2029. The previous road meetings were both played in Birmingham (Legion Field in 1980 and 1986).
It will be the first time the Irish and Crimson Tide have met in the regular season since a two-game series in 1986 and 1987. Notre Dame's wins from that 2012 season were vacated this year due to the use of ineligible players.More news: Amazon Prime Subscriber Number With 100 Million Is Not Far Behind Netflix's
"Alabama and Notre Dame represent two of the most storied programs in college football history", Alabama coach Nick Saban said in a statement.
Notre Dame and Alabama played for the national championship in the 1973 Sugar Bowl. The Irish haven't even recorded a 2-loss season since then.More news: Carrie Underwood announces release date for her new album, 'Cry Pretty'
- Bajau 'Sea Nomads' First Humans Genetically Adapted to Diving
- Weapons inspectors 'let in to chemical attack site'
- European Leagues opposed to FIFA tournament expansion plans
- Manchester City dominate PFA Premier League Team of the Year
- Miguel Diaz-Canel elected as new Cuban President
- US Says Imprisoned Pastor Andrew Brunson Is Innocent; Turkey Lacks 'Credible Evidence'
- Keys to a Game 3 victory for the Philadelphia 76ers
- Judge Holds Kobach In Contempt Of Court
- Israeli military official confirms airstrikes over Syria
- Amazon Fire TV Edition TVs are now a thing