The end of a two-year investigation into Prince's 2016 drug overdose death was the trigger to release materials compiled by sheriff's detectives, ranging from hundreds of pages of interviews, search warrants and reports to more than 1,000 photos and videos. An autopsy found he died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl.
Carver County attorney Mark Metz said in a statement on Thursday (19.04.18): "Despite the intensive law enforcement investigation, there is no reliable evidence showing how Prince obtained the counterfeit Vicodin laced with fentanyl, or who else may have had a role in delivering the counterfeit Vicodin to Prince".
Metz did say pills prescribed to Prince by Dr. Michael Schulenberg were not to blame in Prince's death, but Schulenberg reached a $30,000 settlement with federal prosecutors for prescribing medication for Prince to Prince's assistant, Kirk Johnson.More news: ND, Alabama announce home-and-home series
The images offered a glimpse behind the scenes of the Paisley Park home and recording studio where Prince died.
Not every single pill was tested, just a wide sample, so police would only say "they believe" all of the counterfeit pills contained fentanyl, the drug caused Prince's death. Prince had been experiencing back pain from years of performances, Johnson said.
Sen. Amy Klobuchar took a moment to remember Prince on the Senate floor.More news: Amazon Prime Subscriber Number With 100 Million Is Not Far Behind Netflix's
The U.S. attorney's office also said Thursday it had no credible evidence that would lead to federal criminal charges.
Metz said Johnson and Schulenberg had reached out to a California treatment facility prior to Prince's death to help Prince fight his addiction. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the case remains open. The concentration of fentanyl in Prince's blood alone was 67.8 micrograms per liter, which outside experts called "exceedingly high".More news: Romania May Move Its Embassy to Israel in Jerusalem
- Weapons inspectors 'let in to chemical attack site'
- Large area of central Berlin evacuated for Second World War bomb disposal
- National Football League confirms times and dates for this year's London games
- United Nations security team came under fire in Syria's Douma
- Syracuse fraternity suspended for 'extremely racist' video
- Israeli military official confirms airstrikes over Syria
- Judge Holds Kobach In Contempt Of Court
- E. coli outbreak warning expands to all types of romaine lettuce
- Bucks unleash Maker, Delly in National Basketball Association playoff
- Bajau 'Sea Nomads' First Humans Genetically Adapted to Diving