This design is likely to be the base of BMW i's first all-electric SUV, which will be part of BMW's overall aim to release 25 electrified models by 2025, 12 of which will be all-electric.
Finished in a striking matt Moonstone Silver, by far the most interesting aspects of the X3-derived design of the concept are the details, such as its conjoined, blue-accented version of the iconic "double-kidney" grille.More news: Kucherov avoids penalty after landing high hit on Vatanen
The unparalleled technological expertise of BMW i has also played a prominent role in the development of the fifth-generation electric drive system for BMW iX3.
The iX3 is powered by a 266bhp electric motor, and showcases BMW's future electric architectures, that which will be front-wheel-drive, rear-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive. The specific front end with blue accents hint at the electric powertrain hidden under the sheet metal; the rest of the auto looks a lot like the X3 now on sale. That means better performance, operating range, weight, packaging space, and flexibility in the auto.More news: Saudi Arabia restricts drone operations following palace incident
As is so often the case, the iX3 is a concept in name only.
Additionally, the iX3 will be the first BMW nameplate to be built in China for global markets. The electric motor, transmission and power electronics are now grouped into a single component, making it much easier to integrate them into different vehicle architectures. The motor itself is claimed not to use rare-earth materials in its construction, which is good news for the environment.More news: Liverpool v Roma: Champions League preview, predicted line ups, plus more
In the front, the kidney and the brand emblem show the affiliation with the BMW i brand. BMW predicts a 150-kilowatt quick charger can top up the battery pack in 30 minutes. That grille is subtly reshaped to give it a bit more of a distinctive flavour, with a strong touch of the styling of that i Vision Dynamics concept. The concept study is also fitted with light-alloy wheels in an aerodynamically optimised design.
- Rahul Gandhi assails PM; Shah calls him 'failed leader'
- A journalist's death was captured on Facebook Live during protests in Nicaragua
- Cotton: Democratic opposition to Pompeo 'driven 100% by politics'
- Senators vote to allow babies on Senate floor
- Man Tasered, Removed From Flight in Miami After Allegedly Touching Passenger Inappropriately
- Kanye West Tweets Support For Conservative Woman, Blasts 'Self Victimization'
- Sensex loses 100 points to close shade above 34500
- Celtics' heartbreaking loss to Bucks in Game 4 teaches valuable lessons
- Michael Cohen case shines light on Sean Hannity's real estate empire
- BJP announces first list of candidates for Karnataka polls