"Schoolhouse Rock" premiered on January 13, 1973, and ran on ABC from 1973-1985. In the late '40s, Dorough made his way to NY, working there as a pianist and singer.
Jazz composer singer BOB DOROUGH, who became the musical force of SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK!, died MONDAY afternoon in MT. BETHEL, PA, at the age of 94, NPR reports.More news: New security video shows Toronto van attacker driving on sidewalk, people fleeing
In the 1970s, Dorough began working on an educational album called "Multiplication Rock", which was then pitched to ABC and eventually took the form of animated shorts known as "Schoolhouse Rock!".
He also wrote the song "Devil May Care", which jazz great Miles Davis recorded as an instrumental version.
"I got the idea that three is a magic number", Dorough told NPR's Rachel Martin in 2013. "I learned, when performing at elementary schools, that they were 'getting through, ' so to speak, and the children would readily recognize my voice on such vocals as 'Three is a Magic Number, ' and others that I sang".More news: Derrius Guice selected No. 59 overall by Redskins
"After the fully Dorough-penned Multiplication Rock, the series" contributors expanded to include Lynn Ahrens, Dave Frishberg (writer of "I'm Just a Bill") and George Newall, with Dorough staying on as musical director. "Lou Reed's idea of hell would be to sit in heaven with Bob Dorough", McKay says, referencing the famously cantankerous NY rocker.
According to NRP, Dorough continued to perform until his death, and was survived by his wife, Sally Shanley Dorough.More news: Auston Matthews on his poor playoff production: 'frustrating'
- Broncos introduce first-round pick Bradley Chubb
- I hear America zinging at the White House Correspondents' Dinner
- Dwyane Wade On The Sixers: 'This Is The Future Of The NBA'
- Apple reportedly developing powerful wireless VR and AR headset
- Drinking coffee during pregnancy could make babies obese, experts say
- Indian court calls for fair trial in murder case
- Number of active Facebook users increased despite scandals
- Athletics South Africa to study IAAF new rules for female runners
- IPL 2018: Sakshi Dhoni demands another six from husband MS Dhoni
- Kathua rape trial stayed till May 7 by SC