Taliep said the council called on the police and other government structures to ensure the necessary criminal investigations are done so "the perpetrators and criminals can be brought to book and face the full might of the law".
Three men entered the large mosque after midday prayers, carrying guns and attacking the victim with knives and then releasing a petrol bomb that set fire to the building.
There have been some Islamophic attacks on South African mosques in the past, but few have been as violent as the one that took place Thursday.More news: Israel Informed Russia Ahead of Strikes in Syria Following Netanyahu-Putin Meeting
"The (imam) was tied up and thrown to his knees and his throat was slit".
About 1.5 percent of the country's 55 million population is Muslim.
The scene outside a mosque in Ottawa where three men were attacked. The Shia mosque was also set alight by the perpetrators who fled in a Hyundai.More news: Instagram To Add Music To Posts, Code Reveals
One of the three victims died on the way to hospital while the motive for the attack remains unclear.
"Incidents of this nature are - on average and without further evidence - more likely to be linked to personal or communal grievances than acts of terror as we understand them", he said. Paramedics or doctors who can assist can report to the scene, ' RUSA said in an statement released today. "The other two are in critical condition", said Prem Balram, a spokesperson for Reaction Unit SA, which was first on the scene.
The South African parliament's police committee condemned the attack. "I do not think we should jump to conclusions that this attack is motivated by sectarianism", Haseen told Voice of the Cape.More news: Raptors president Ujiri says everything will be evaluated after loss to Cavs
"A mosque is a religious institution, and South Africa's constitution guarantees and protects the right to religious practices", its chairman Francois Beukman said. "A knife was found lying next to him", Balram said.
- Former Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney set to leave Everton for MLS
- Details Surrounding Nintendo Online Services Emerge
- Dame Barbara Windsor's Alzheimer's: Ross Kemp praises decision to speak out
- Flipkart co-founder Sachin quits after Walmart deal
- Reuben Foster threw girlfriend's dog across room during domestic-violence incident
- Huawei P20 Pro gets $1099 Australian RRP ahead of May launch
- Flawless blend? Nestle buys privilege to sell Starbucks coffee for $7.2bn
- One-Time Potential Rival to China's Xi Draws Life Sentence
- Kansas picked as participant in Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Pilot Program
- Spurs 1-0 Newcastle: Kane fires Tottenham to UCL next term