Mahathir's opposition alliance stormed to a historic win at the elections, toppling the Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition that had ruled Malaysia for more than six decades.
Toh Gian Ming, a 53-year-old businessmen, said he hoped the corruption that plagued public life under Najib would end with a change in government.
The opposition says the defeated prime minister is delaying Mahathir's swearing-in ceremony so he has time to influence the king.More news: Sterling falls after BoE holds rates, slashes growth forecasts
In Malaysia, the prime minister who has administrative powers is appointed by the King who holds largely a ceremonial role. Some reports accuse Najib of attempting to swing the election in his favor by buying up candidates in the state of Sabah.
As the leader of an improbably broad opposition coalition, united primarily by outrage over the towering list of corruption accusations against Mr. Najib, Mr. Mahathir has promised to rebuild government institutions and fight corruption. Last month, Mahathir has lashed out at Najib after missing paperwork resulted in temporary dissolution of his Bersatu Party. He's also suspected of trying to manipulate the popular vote after backing legislation to redraw the electoral map.
More broadly, Mr. Najib has been embroiled in a scandal involving billions of dollars that disappeared from a government investment fund that he once headed, 1Malaysia Development Berhad.More news: Raptors aim to avoid sweep as betting underdogs vs. Cavs
"Mahathir ruled the country with an iron fist - a tiger never changes his stripes - and Mahathir's style of rule will continue to be authoritarian", said 33-year-old businessman P. Punithan.
"We look forward to developing an equally constructive relationship with the next Malaysian government, and to work with it to take our bilateral ties forward and benefit both our peoples". "You don't have all the institutions which are created to give form to the government of this country".More news: Spurs 1-0 Newcastle: Kane fires Tottenham to UCL next term
- Takeda Pharma to Buy Rare Disease Drugmaker Shire for $62 Billion
- Reuben Foster threw girlfriend's dog across room during domestic-violence incident
- God of War Photo Mode Launches Today
- Walmart Set to Announce Flipkart Deal Today
- Sears strikes partnership to install tires sold through Amazon
- Indian refiners in no rush to seek alternatives to Iranian oil
- Top Chinese economic adviser to visit USA next week for trade talks
- Bill Gates Thinks Digital Currencies Are Poor Investments
- Huawei P20 Pro gets $1099 Australian RRP ahead of May launch
- Armenia Opposition Leader Pashinyan Elected New PM