Rooney has not managed a goal or an assist since the 18th December and has looked far off the pace for months.
Rooney is Everton's top scorer with 11 goals this season.
However, Rooney was scoreless in the second half of the season.More news: World's Oldest Head Of State Swon In Aged 92
However, he did add that negotiations with the MLS club have taken place.
Nowadays, MLS seems fine with super-clubs, and European stars have migrated to teams in the biggest markets - NY and Los Angeles. However, one person close to the D.C. organization told The Washington Post that the outlook is "50-50".
He will join the likes of David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Andre Pirlo and recently Zlatan Ibrahimovic in the coveted names list of people who joined the MLS in the twilight of their career. United's training grounds and stadium are in the city, but next spring, the club plans to christen a new training centre in Leesburg. It needs a calling card. His current contract with Everton will expire in 2019.
The England international's representatives have apparently been in the USA for weeks already in a bid to negotiate a deal that will see him leave his boyhood club for the second time in his career.More news: Facebook May Issue Its Own Cryptocurrency
The league is actually trending younger - the 111 newcomers this year are an average age of 25 - and has signed several impact players from Latin America. Allardyce continually starting Rooney only to replace him points to the ongoing uncertainty as to his best position and use. He isn't chasing the ball, he just stands and the ball will come to him.
However, Rooney reportedly has decided he wants out.
United are prepared to pay him between US$5 million and US$8 million per season, said a well-connected figure who requested anonymity to speak about the negotiations. It's unclear how much money club investors are willing to spend on upgrading the roster.
The Chinese might well be willing to pay more than $17 million. That depends on his drawing power, which I'm not really able to assess. "If they don't play well you can't select them and if they do play well they stay in the team, and that's the simple fact of the matter", said the Toffees boss.More news: BT to slash 13000 jobs - will Sevenoaks office be hit?
As a player, Rooney might not be ideal for the club. Their highest-paid player this year is Hungarian midfielder Zoltan Stieber, who is listed at US$999,999. I don't get involved in anything regarding transfers in or out or negotiations.
- NASA flying helicopter to Mars using remote control
- City of Calgary calling Alberta Emergency Alert system test a success
- Nintendo to launch adjustable Nintendo Switch charging stand
- Narendra Modi accorded guard of honour, meets Nepali Foreign Minister
- Capitals' Nicklas Backstrom to miss Game 1 against Lightning
- Indiana Republican Party Chairman Welcomes President Donald Trump to Indiana
- AI Helping Transform Google Products, Services CEO Sundar Pichai Says
- Sterling falls after BoE holds rates, slashes growth forecasts
- Former Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal to leave Swansea City
- British tourists 'kidnapped' at Virunga wildlife park in Democratic Republic of Congo