Israel launched air strikes against Iranian positions in Syria, prompting Iranian forces to fire a barrage of missiles at Israeli positions on the Golan Heights, which in turn triggered Israeli air strikes against over 50 Iranian military targets, killing at least 23 Syrian and "foreign" personnel, most of whom were likely Iranian.
"At least 27 pro-regime fighters were killed" in Thursday's strikes, said Rami Abdel Rahman, director of the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. Their approval is not always can be officially confirmed.
The UN chief's words come after Israeli forces were forced to defend the Golan Heights against attacks from the Iranian Quds Force based in Syria.More news: Former Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal to leave Swansea City
Another reason for the change is the fact that Iran is now isolated from the world in everything related to Syria, and the global community's support for the Israeli airstrikes in the Arab country further stressed Iran's isolation. "An opportunity has arisen for Israel to uproot Iran from Syria, and we'll take advantage of this opportunity", he said. Four of the missiles were knocked down by the Iron Dome air defense system and the rest fell short of Israeli territory, according to the military. First, since Iran and Israel do not share a border, it is hard to see how the present hostilities could spiral into a wide-ranging confrontation involving ground operations.
Liberman also told Israelis they should not let the threat from Syria deter them from visiting the north. The Syrian military has "everything it needs", he said.
"The Iranians tried to attack Israel's sovereign territory", Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman charged.More news: Companies seeking insight into Trump paid for Cohen's views
Israel's defense minister called on Syria's President Bashar Assad on Friday to clear his country of Iranian forces based there - warning that their presence will only bring more trouble to the already war-ravaged country. "I hope we've finished this episode and everyone understood".
The Jewish state has long warned it will not accept Iran entrenching itself militarily in neighbouring Syria, where the Islamic Republic backs Assad's regime in the country's seven-year civil war.
Even as Israel strains against Iran and Hezbollah having any kind of permanent military presence in Syria, its success there might depend on a major player who at the moment, remains an X-factor: Russian Federation.More news: Narendra Modi accorded guard of honour, meets Nepali Foreign Minister
- BT to slash 13000 jobs - will Sevenoaks office be hit?
- Nintendo to launch adjustable Nintendo Switch charging stand
- Indiana Republican Party Chairman Welcomes President Donald Trump to Indiana
- AI Helping Transform Google Products, Services CEO Sundar Pichai Says
- United Kingdom customs partnership idea "crazy" says Boris Johnson
- British tourists 'kidnapped' at Virunga wildlife park in Democratic Republic of Congo
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ask U.S. bishop to deliver wedding address
- Mourinho admits being happy with second is against his nature
- Kansas picked as participant in Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Pilot Program
- NASA flying helicopter to Mars using remote control