It took the emergency services several hours to recover the bodies of the boy and the pilot from the plane.
The pilot, believed to be from the United Kingdom, and a seven-year-old local boy were on board when the plane went down in bog land in Co Offaly on Sunday afternoon. The site of the crash is located between Daingean and Edenderry, not far from Mount Lucas.
The plane was partially submerged in the bog, hampering the efforts of the emergency services.
People are being advised to avoid the area.
Alerts were raised after the parachute club lost radio contact with the pilot, who is understood to be a United Kingdom national.More news: Narendra Modi accorded guard of honour, meets Nepali Foreign Minister
Air crash investigators are surveying the scene of a fatal plane crash in Offaly to find out what happened.
A Garda spokesman said 16 parachutists were on board the aircraft.
It is understood the pilot - reported to be from the United Kingdom - and a seven-year-old boy were still onboard.
"However, they then saw the aircraft crash shortly afterwards".
Postmortems were carried out on the man's remains and those of Kacper Kacprzak at the Midland Regional Hospital, Tullamore today.More news: Rooney 'hasn't asked to leave', Everton boss Allardyce says
It's understood that the light aircraft crashed around 11km from Edenderry.
Gardaí said last night that they would not be releasing the names of the victims until they were satisfied that all family members had been informed.
The child died in the accident in Ireland after 16 parachutists left.
Chairman of Offaly County Council, Liam Quinn, says it's a tragedy for all involved adding "that people are particularly, sad it's a very sad day, the fact that there's a young boy involved makes it all the worse".
"These flights have been happening for the last 20 years and this is the first time I've heard of a plane going down".More news: Top Senate intelligence Democrat to vote for Trump's CIA chief nominee
- Fortnite Buffs Thanos' damage, The Avengers: Infinity Mode balance
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ask U.S. bishop to deliver wedding address
- Maple Leafs promote Kyle Dubas, 32, to GM
- John Bolton: Trump Sanctions On European Companies "Possible" Over Iran
- NASA flying helicopter to Mars using remote control
- USA condemns rocket attack by Iran on Israel
- LaMelo Ball praises Celtics' Brad Stevens to put down Lithuanian coach
- China's first indigenously built aircraft carrier leaves for sea trials
- How To Watch Cavaliers vs. Celtics Game 1
- Capitals' Nicklas Backstrom to miss Game 1 against Lightning