Though Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) is urging the Senate to reject Haspel, her confirmation seems likely now that two red-state Democrats have offered their support: Sens.
~ On the nomination of Gina Haspel to be CIA Director ~.More news: John Bolton: Trump Sanctions On European Companies "Possible" Over Iran
"Over the last 17 years, the Agency and I have learned hard lessons since 9/11", Haspel wrote in a letter to Intelligence Committee Vice Chairman Mark Warner, D-Va., who has not yet said how he will vote on Haspel's nomination.
Haspel played an integral role in the CIA's program, both as a senior leader in the agency's Counterterrorism Center and a supervisor of a secret facility in Thailand. Most importantly, I believe she is someone who can and will stand up to the President if ordered to do something illegal or immoral - like a return to torture.
Democrats and some Republicans have expressed concern about Haspel's involvement in the post 9/11-era interrogation and detention programs. John McCain, Arizona Republican, is not expected because he is home battling cancer.More news: SC Collegium sticks to Joseph's elevation
According to CNN, Haspel refrained from doing so in the public portion of her hearing because "she did not want to be seen as publicly criticizing her colleagues at the Central Intelligence Agency". But by the time he released the statement, two key swing votes on the committee, Manchin and GOP moderate Senator Susan Collins of ME, had already announced they would vote for Haspel.
"I have seen the classified material, which I of course can't get into, but there are other holes in the story beyond the fact that her former boss has publicly contradicted her", Wyden said in an interview Monday.
That was when Bartiromo asked the vice president who served under former President George W. Bush about torture.More news: Seven-year-old boy and pilot `critical' after Offaly air crash
- Dame Tessa Jowell has died aged 70
- Jailed Malaysian politician Anwar Ibrahim to receive royal pardon
- Capitals' Nicklas Backstrom to miss Game 1 against Lightning
- AI Helping Transform Google Products, Services CEO Sundar Pichai Says
- Catalan separatists want to re-elect fugitive ex-leader
- China's first indigenously built aircraft carrier leaves for sea trials
- Rooney 'hasn't asked to leave', Everton boss Allardyce says
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ask U.S. bishop to deliver wedding address
- Narendra Modi accorded guard of honour, meets Nepali Foreign Minister
- British tourists 'kidnapped' at Virunga wildlife park in Democratic Republic of Congo