On top of that injury, Major League Baseball also announced Tuesday that Cano has been suspended 80 games for a violation of the performance-enhancing drugs policy.
Cano maintained that he used the drug to treat an unspecified medical condition, though baseball rules state that the league will treat a diuretic as a positive test if its independent program administrator "determines that the player meant to avoid detection of his use of another prohibited substance".More news: Tiger Woods shoots 65, his lowest score ever at Players
"While I did not realize at the time that I was given a medication that was banned, I obviously now wish that I had been more careful", Cano said.
He's been to eight All-Star games, six of them while in pinstripes.
"It's surprising, because I know Robby".More news: Boy returns to school after dad's death, 70 cops escort him
Cano, a staple at second base, was set to miss an extended period anyway after he broke a bone in his hand Sunday, when he got struck by a pitch. "But after the Ryan Braun thing, nothing surprises me", said Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia, who was teammates with Braun in Milwaukee before the Brewers slugger tested positive for PEDs. However, he will lose almost half his $24 million salary from 2018.
In 39 games this year, the 35-year-old Cano had a slash line of.287/.385/.441, with four home runs and 23 RBIs.
Cano is under contract through the 2023 season, when he'll be nearly 41 years old, at $24 million each year, and if Seattle makes the playoffs this year he won't be eligible.More news: Stormy Daniels' lawyer spotted with Christie Brinkley
"In this particular instance we're going to be without one of our best players and got to find a way to bridge the gap", Dipoto said.
- Maple Leafs promote Kyle Dubas, 32, to GM
- Raw 5/14 Taping Spoilers: Money In The Bank Qualifiers
- Colombia's Esteban Chaves victorious in Giro d'Italia's Mount Etna stage
- Pakistan bars US diplomat from leaving country
- China's first indigenously built aircraft carrier leaves for sea trials
- African Union reacts to relocation of US embassy to Jerusalem
- Antonio Conte: I 'wasn't able to convey that determination' to Chelsea players
- Top Senate intelligence Democrat to vote for Trump's CIA chief nominee
- Microsoft announces the Surface Hub 2
- Seven-year-old boy and pilot `critical' after Offaly air crash