Trump criticized any of the league's players who might challenge the rule and continue to kneel in protest, suggesting "maybe you shouldn't be in the country".
President Donald Trump speaks to the media before boarding the Marine One helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, May 23, 2018.More news: Claim From Spain: Manchester City's Priority Summer Transfer Targets Confirmed
Yesterday the NFL released a new policy for players and whether they should stand for the National Anthem. "You have to stand proudly for the national anthem".
Under the new league policy, teams can be fined an unspecified sum if players protest on the field.
"The NFL chose to not consult the union in the development of this new "policy.' NFL players have shown their patriotism through their social activism, their community service, in support of our military and law enforcement and yes, through their protests to raise awareness about the issues they care about", the NFL players" union said in a statement.
The NFL approved a new policy on Wednesday in response to ongoing player protests that took over the 2017 season.More news: Manchester Bombing: Royals and community remember terror attack that killed 22
"And I will tell you one thing I know about NASCAR: They do indeed, Brian, stand for the playing of the national anthem, right?" "He's fired, '" Mr Trump said at the time.
Trump's reaction was the president's first since NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Wednesday the league would fine teams and league personnel who do not "stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem". "So I ask my conservative friends who talk about this issue so much if they will also stand up for protesting #NFL players". I may be privy to some different information because I've been in conversations with Roger Goodell and Troy Vincent and the leadership of the National Football League in regards to the Players Coalition and what we're trying to get out of that.
"I think we've got to get this issue resolved before the season so that everyone is on the same page, " Wright said.More news: Pervez Musharraf Blames Nawaz Sharif For Pakistan Army's Withdrawal From Kargil
- Kroger shares rose on Ocado deal amid busy week for M&A news
- Pompeo rules out "bad deal" with DPRK in negotiations
- Lewis Hamilton 'close' to new deal with Mercedes
- Aaron Schlossberg: Lawyer Runs Away From Reporters After Shocking Racist Rant
- Jared Kushner receives permanent security clearance
- Alabama announces home-and-home series with Texas
- Ebola cases on rise, reach 14 in DRC
- Hawaii's Kilauea volcano: Power plant wells plugged, blue flames in suburban street
- Lue: Cavs must be tougher against Celtics
- EU Unites on Iran With Moves to Counter Sanctions