President Trump touted his administration's push to increase military spending in a commencement address at the Naval Academy on Friday, telling graduating midshipmen that the US had regained its stride on the world stage.
"The best way to prevent war is to be fully prepared for war, and hopefully we never have to use all of this lovely new powerful equipment but you know you're less likely to have to use it if you have it", Trump said.
Both the NYT and the Associated Press also picked up on Trump's dubious math in this statement: "We have now the lowest number of ships that we've had since World War I, and very soon you're going to get to 355 attractive ships. 355".More news: Kilauea Opens New Fissure, Spews More Lava And Toxic Gas
Speaking to more than 1,000 newly commissioned Navy officers and Marines at Annapolis, the president said the US has regained respect internationally through its military strength. "Yes, they're respecting us again - Yes, America is back".
It will be Trump's first time speaking to the academy's graduating class. We are going to stand up for America. We will soon see where it will lead, hopefully to long and enduring prosperity and peace.
His remarks come a day after he cancelled a planned summit with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un amid aggressive language from that country.More news: Trump Says NFL Owners' Anthem Protest Ban Doesn't Do Enough
He told graduates that "we have begun the great rebuilding of the USA military".
The president also touted his administration's work in securing $700 billionfor our nation's "war fighters", and said we will have the strongest military ever. "And when did we need it more than now?" "America is back", he said. "Victory, winning, attractive words but that's what it's all about". "We know the best way to prevent war is to be fully prepared for war". Winning is such a great feeling.
President Donald Trump walks out of the White House in Washington, Friday, May 25, 2018, as he heads to Marine One for a short trip to Annapolis, Md., to speak at the United States Naval Academy graduation.More news: American Sent Home From China After 'Abnormal Sensations'
- Hawaii's Kilauea volcano: Power plant wells plugged, blue flames in suburban street
- EU Unites on Iran With Moves to Counter Sanctions
- Kroger shares rose on Ocado deal amid busy week for M&A news
- See 2017 population estimate for your MI city, township or village
- Giuliani Wants Trump To Interview With Mueller: 'It Makes My Client Happy'
- Nipah kills one more in Kerala; public meetings banned, exams put off
- US President Trump Cannot Legally Block Followers On Twitter, Rules US Judge
- Weinstein charged with rape, sex abuse
- Memorial Day events in Westmoreland County
- Texas shooting suspect's dad says son may have been bullied