On Wednesday, at a news conference organized to give reporters updates about his assassination, he showed up alive.
Before ushering Mr Babchenko into the room, Mr Gritsak said investigators had identified a Ukrainian citizen who had been recruited and paid $40,000 (€34,000) by Russian security services to organise and carry out the killing.
Authorities announced on Tuesday that Babchenko's wife discovered him with gunshot wounds at their apartment and he died en route to a Kiev hospital.More news: Chelsea owner Abramovich immigrates to Israel, becomes country's richest citizen
Mr Babchenko took part in the war in Chechnya as a soldier.
Babchenko, who wrote for opposition media, was one of Russia's best-known war correspondents.
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko blamed Moscow for wanting to kill Babchenko, and congratulated his country's security services for becoming stronger in the face of "Russian aggression".
The Committee to Protect Journalists revealed it is investigating the "unprecedented" situation as it said: "We are relieved that Arkady Babchenko is alive".
But on Wednesday, an emotional Babchenko appeared before reporters saying he had been part of a special Ukrainian operation to thwart a Russian attempt on his life and said he was fine.
The contract hit was ordered by the Russian special service, the SBU said.More news: Roseanne Wanted TV Show To Be Canceled, Ex-Husband Says
The SBU also said that the assassin was apprehended.
In March of the same year, former Russian MP Denis Voronenkov was shot dead outside a hotel in Kiev.
On February 27, 2017, he wrote on social media that he had left Russian Federation.
Ukrainian Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman said in a social media posting late on Tuesday he was convinced what he called "the Russian totalitarian machine" had not forgiven Mr Babchenko for what Mr Groysman called his honesty.More news: New Signing Fabinho Reveals How Liverpool Forward Convinced Him to Join Reds
- Warriors roar back to take West, setting up fourth finals against Cavs
- Hamas: Gaza groups agree to truce if Israel ceases fire
- New Zealand orders mass cattle cull to eradicate disease
- Apple Releases iOS 11.4 With Messages in iCloud and AirPlay 2
- Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov meets Kim Jong
- Fallout 76: Vault Secrets REVEALED for Bethesda's new West Virginia based game?
- US Navy conducting Sunday morning maneuvers in the South China Sea
- Zinedine Zidane leaves Real Madrid after third Champions League title
- Tesla on autopilot crashes into parked police SUV in Laguna Beach
- Sony Dropping Limited Edition Blue PS4 for "Days of Play" Sale