But while forecasters said the subtropical depression could dump as much as 6 inches (15 centimeters) of rain inland, few major problems were reported so far.
"If you can't see the painted lines on the road, then it's too deep for you to drive through it", Yaussy said.
But later, officials said Lake Tahoma had been inspected and deemed safe and a mandatory evacuation was being canceled.
Cooper was scheduled afterward to take a driving tour of US 176 in Polk County, the Lake Lure area and Chimney Rock State Park before heading north to tour damage in Old Fort and the mudslide area along Interstate 40 West.
Heavy rain caused by the remnants of Alberto triggered landslides at the Lake Tahoma dam in western North Carolina, and the National Weather Service said residents were "being asked to flee".More news: New Signing Fabinho Reveals How Liverpool Forward Convinced Him to Join Reds
Emergency management reports numerous areas of flash flooding and landslides across McDowell county Tuesday night. "Flash flooding, landslides and rapid rises on waterways are an immediate threat to life and property".
It has been assessing damage caused by mudslides washouts and flooding on interstates, highways and local roads.
Alberto, the first named storm of a hurricane season that won't officially start until Friday, made landfall Monday west of Panama City on Florida's Gulf Coast, delivering heavy rains, surging seas and winds of 45 miles per hour.More news: Keith Ellison Boycotting NFL Over 'Cowardly & Idiotic' Anthem Policy
Many people gathered Wednesday morning along both sides of the road to watch the high water flow underneath the bridges on USA 221 Business. In Albemarle County, two people were missing, and in Madison County one person was missing.
Heavy rain from the remnants of Subtropical Storm Alberto brought on the flooding in central Virginia, parts of the Shenandoah Valley and elsewhere around the Southeast.
WYFF-TV of Greenville, South Carolina, said news anchor Mike McCormick and photojournalist Aaron Smeltzer were killed.
Sunday should be mostly sunny with a high in the upper 60s, and there is a 50-50 chance of rain Monday, according to the National Weather Service.
According to the NCDOT, the pair was able to climb out through a passenger window until they were rescued.More news: Apple Releases iOS 11.4 With Messages in iCloud and AirPlay 2
- Indian-origin teen wins Scripps National Spelling Bee
- Top Russian Official Pledges Support for Family of Slain Journalist, Arkady Babchenko
- Unseen for weeks, Melania Trump tweets she's 'feeling great'
- Zinedine Zidane leaves Real Madrid
- National Doughnut Day Is Friday: Here's Where to Get a Free One
- New Zealand orders mass cattle cull to eradicate disease
- The Funniest Tweets about Trump Pardoning Dinesh D'Souza
- Roseanne Wanted TV Show To Be Canceled, Ex-Husband Says
- Mohamed Salah to travel to Spain for treatment on shoulder injury
- EA Sports ran Federation Internationale de Football Association 18 World Cup simulation