The agency told the outlet that the "EPA will not be commenting on anonymous sources who are working to distract Americans from Administrator Pruitt's accomplishments on regulatory certainty and environmental stewardship".More news: Trump and Abe express optimism ahead of North Korea summit
Politico obtained a billing statement from July 2017 that showed Pruitt ate at the White House mess at least nine times that month, racking up a $400 bill. "EPA is doing really, really well", Trump said to Pruitt at the meeting. Federal rules bar public officials from receiving gifts from subordinates, including unpaid services, and from using their office for private gain.
Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), a member of GOP Senate leadership, didn't explicitly say Pruitt should be fired, but called Pruitt's behavior a "distraction". Sarah Greenwalt and Millan Hupp, longtime loyalists to Pruitt, both of whom received raises when Pruitt's team used a loophole in the Safe Drinking Water Act to pay for the raises after they were first rejected by the White House.More news: Lowest price ever for Echo Show at Amazon
"Scott Pruitt can not shift the blame for his scandals to his aides or career EPA employees, said Democratic Representative Don Beyer, a member of the House Natural Resources Committee. You know, somebody has to say that about you a little bit", Trump said.
Pruitt and his aides also put out feelers among government and private contacts about interior decorator work for Pruitt's wife, according to Chmielewski, who says he was sacked from the agency after challenging some of Pruitt's spending. (They weren't the only staffers to receive huge raises.) The Washington Post reported the next day, citing two unnamed sources, that Pruitt had his 24/7 security detail fetch his dry cleaning and, strangely, his favored moisturizer. Now, Pruitt's ethical woes are leading to calls from conservatives for Trump to fire the embattled cabinet head. Hupp's departure came after lawmakers released her testimony to the congressional panel.More news: More Breast Cancer Patients Can Skip Chemo - Gene Test
Hupp "recently testified to the House Oversight Committee that she regularly spent her days doing personal tasks for Pruitt, from hunting for housing to calling the Trump Hotel in Washington, D.C., in order to inquire about purchasing a used mattress".
- United Nations watchdog confident of North Korea role if nuclear deal is struck
- Arsenal to snub deal for Fellaini
- Serena Williams withdraws from French Open before playing Maria Sharapova
- Singapore says US, China both risking status quo with actions
- Former Ark City PD chief living in Guatemala safe after volcanic eruption
- China criticizes 'protectionism' after U.S. steel tariff hike
- U.S. trade dispute with Canada a 'family quarrel,' official says
- Apple's new iOS 12 features shared AR experiences, less interruption
- Apple, Google Introducing Tools To Help Users Cut Down On Screen Time
- Facebook gave 60 device makers "deep access" to user data