Leonard is a bona fide top-five player.
According to reports, he's upset with the team over their handling of the leg injury that forced him to miss nearly the entirety of the 2017-2018 National Basketball Association season, as well as public comments made by guard Tony Parker and head coach Gregg Popovich. If Leonard wants to be a star, and get more exposure than he did in San Antonio, Philadelphia offers him that chance as well. Furthermore, Leonard reportedly plans on telling other potential suitors that he won't re-sign with them in 2019 when he becomes a free agent, as he prepares to sign in LA. Since winning the 2014 NBA Finals MVP award, Leonard has been named the league's Defensive Player of the Year twice with two top-three regular-season MVP finishes.More news: Afghanistan ready for maiden test against top-ranked India
It's not known exactly what went down during the meeting between Leonard and Popovich, but San Antonio doesn't yet appear to be in any rush to deal their best player. Popovich even suggested that Leonard might be better than LeBron James a year ago.
According to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and Ramona Shelburne, Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich met with Leonard on Tuesday to re-connect with the star forward who has grown distant from the franchise.More news: OnePlus 6 Hits Record Sales, Rewarding India Customers with Cashback and More
I understand the risk with him being traded to another team, enjoying his time there and signing an extension, but I value building a team instead of depleting a roster for one star, especially given how the National Basketball Association is moving toward strong teams over one- or two-man teams. This move has all of the signs of them potentially looking for something bigger, but a big deal might not fall into place.
As the draft approaches, we will have to wait and see what comes of this trade for the Lakers.More news: Eid to be celebrated across India on June 16, today in Kerala
- Manchester City to start title defence at Arsenal
- Melania Trump calls for end to immigrants’ family separation
- Black Panther star wins hero award, and honors a real hero
- Ball changed! Sri Lanka refuses to field in protest
- 5 dead as SUV being chased crashes in South Texas
- Mexico's Marquez in 'great shape' at fifth career World Cup
- Trump 'could issue pardons after Russian Federation probe', lawyer Rudy Giuliani claims
- Asian equities show nerves ahead of US’s Chinese tariffs list
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have confirmed they're visiting Ireland next month
- Plane carrying Saudi Arabia's World Cup team catches fire