Newsweek reported that it's unknown when the incident occurred or the identities of the people in the video.
The concerned father then wrestles with the priest, who put his hand over its mouth in an attempt to muffles the cries.
According to the poster, the baby starts crying and the priest points and says: "This is called a tantrum".More news: Why Didn't Kate Middleton, Prince William Attend His Cousin's Wedding?
While hitting the child, the priest uttered the words "calm down". "I will scream louder than you so calm down". "So, calm down. Calm down".
The child's relatives still appear to be smiling as the priest brings the baby's head towards his, but the baby reacts badly and flails its right arm towards the woman. The toddler's parents were surprised and shocked at the clergyman's action.
Attempting to console the child, the priest grabs the child's face and tells him to "calm down".More news: How to Watch Iran vs. Spain
As the churchgoers begins to murmur, he repeats: "There, you have to calm yourself, you have to calm yourself, there, there".
The user captioned the clip saying, "This happened today in France, I'm really shocked".
This is a representative image of a priest reading the gospel during a baptism in Greece, May 12, 2017.More news: European Union tariffs target United States goods from motorbikes to jeans
- Disgraced ex-FIFA president Sep Blatter arrives in Russian Federation for World Cup
- Arsenal manager Unai Emery "excited" by arrival of goalkeeper Bernd Leno
- Oil falls on US-China trade dispute
- Plane carrying Saudi Arabia's World Cup team catches fire
- Rapper XXXTentacion shot dead in Florida
- Instagram just declared war on YouTube with a new longform-video app
- New ‘Star Wars’ Story movies on hold because ‘Solo’ sucked
- Government has changed position on Brexit law compromise - MP
- Supreme Court closes online sales tax loophole
- India takes direct control in Kashmir after alliance ends