Cousin Volma Overton declined to say how much was stolen but said it was a "significant amount of money".
Overton's family says Social Security and banking account numbers for the 112-year-old Austin man were used to make seven withdrawals over the past several months. Volma said it turns out that a company that buys savings bonds is behind it. "It hurts tremendously", Volma Overton, Richard's cousin, said.More news: Lakers pressured to add Leonard before LeBron decision
Volma Overton, Richard Overton's cousin said the family was making a deposit into his personal account Wednesday when they realized it was empty.
He said it's not hard to find information on Overton with all of his notoriety but he isn't certain how the thieves got a hold of his social security number. A police report was filed Friday.
He told KXAN that the family doesn't know who could be behind the theft, but he suspects it could be "someone in a foreign country".More news: Some Democrats mulling 2020 presidential run call for elimination of ICE
Richard Overton in March 2017, after a special presentation honouring him as the oldest living American war veteran.
Fortunately, Overton's compromised account was not connected to the GoFundMe campaign that was setup to help pay for 24/7 care in his home.
Born on May 11, 1906, in St. Mary's Colony, Bastrop County, Texas, Richard is the grandson of a Tennessee slave who moved to Texas upon emancipation.More news: By the numbers: Messi and Ronaldo's knockout ducks; Kylian Mbappe emulates Pele
"He's going to be upset", Martin Wilford, a close family friend, told KomoNews.
- US stocks slide on escalating US-China trade tension
- Based firm to track Ranbir Kapoor-starrer Sanju's box office collections
- Southgate urges England to play Belgium without fear
- Uruguay happy that Suarez, Cavani find their rhythm together
- Jorge Sampaoli: I was instructing Lionel Messi vs. Nigeria, not consulting him
- Fortnite is having a special one-time only event on June 30
- Colombia ready for ‘full-on, to-the-death’ England match
- Toni Kroos rescues German World Cup hopes with last-gasp victor
- Messi Gets Face-Saving Kazan Mural to Match Ronaldo's
- India Preparing for Cut in Oil Imports From Iran