The German national football team on Thursday thanked Russian Federation for their hospitality after crashing out of the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Sweden head coach Janne Andersson was full of praise for his side as they entered the last 16 on a high thanks to a morale-boosting win, to top what had been a tough-looking group.
Son Heung-min made it 2-0 in the sixth minute of stoppage time after Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer came up the field to help his teammates outside the South Korea box.
With Mexico losing to Sweden in the final match of pool play at the World Cup, the only hope of Mexico advancing to the round of 16, or the knockout stage as it's also called, was defending World Champion Germany suffering an upset loss to South Korea in another match played simultaneously.More news: Spain midfielder Andres Iniesta has announced his retirement
A 0-0 draw would be fine, but if Germany scored, Mexico would be eliminated. Upon first glance, you might think it's just a celebration, as Brazil fans march down the street, waving country flags and playing loud music.
"But this not the time for this, we have to analyse things, why it did not work, but I assume he will continue".
"It is a really, really bitter evening for us", defender Mats Hummels added.
The sight of Mexico pouring through a porous German midfield during the first half of the defeat in the opener against Mexico was the clearest example. "I'm shocked that we didn't manage to pull it off".More news: Germany need big changes, says Loew after World Cup crash
Everyone was waiting for Germany to score another late World Cup-saving goal. "We will sit down and over today's match again". "In the end, it was not enough".
The FIFA World Cup kicked off on June 14 and will continue until July 15, with the matches being played in 11 cities across Russian Federation.
I watched some of the game and they were just unable to break South Korea down.
Germany's abysmal performance in the World Cup saw them lose two of their group stage games - a far cry from their triumph at the 2014 tournament which saw them thrash Brazil 7-1 on their way to the final.More news: LeBron James agrees to 4-year, $154M contract with LA Lakers
Earlier Blerim Dzemaili had thumped home to give Switzerland the lead against the run of play against the team which finished bottom of Group E.
- Messi Gets Face-Saving Kazan Mural to Match Ronaldo's
- Ronaldo can't beat Uruguay on his own, warns Portugal coach
- Some Democrats mulling 2020 presidential run call for elimination of ICE
- National Weather Service Issues Heat Advisory thru Sunday for Millburn Township
- Trump narrows Supreme Court list, to name nominee July 9
- Jorge Sampaoli: I was instructing Lionel Messi vs. Nigeria, not consulting him
- Go west: LeBron James joins the L.A
- LeBron James’ free agency: Reports from around the NBA
- Susan Sarandon joins group protesting Trump's border policy
- Gary Neville gives his prediction on who will win World Cup