Rafael Nadal insisted Tuesday that plans by Wimbledon to introduce a 25-second shot clock will kill off the sport's capacity for epic Grand Slam confrontations. But like Uniqlo, I also have great love for life, culture and humanity.
The same obviously applies at Wimbledon, but he feels that the Queen's experience has prepared him for the adjustment to grass and for all that there was natural nervousness, he could not have reacquainted himself with the surface more comfortably, always in control of the match, but getting some better competition from his opponent after a one-sided opening set.More news: Drake confirms he secretly fathered a son on new album 'Scorpion'
US Open champion and fourth seed Sloane Stephens became the tournament's first big name casualty when she slumped to a 6-1, 6-3 loss to Croatia's world 55 Donna Vekic. Monfils went on to win the match.Clive Mason/Getty ImagesMEAN GREENArantxa Rus of the Netherlands muscles a return to Serena Williams.
"There's a general feeling that we should speed up when a match begins and ends", said the tournament's chief executive Richard Lewis.
Sam Querrey, who lost to Cilic in the semifinals a year ago, had a similarly comfortable start as he beat Jordan Thompson of Australia 6-2, 6-4, 6-3.More news: America's Oldest Man, Richard Overton, Robbed of His Savings
Not so impressed or impressive were the 10th seed, David Goffin, rolled over in straight sets by Matthew Ebden - part of a rare Australian cavalry charge - and the French Open finalist, Dominic Thiem, who had to retire injured when trailing in the third set against the old warhorse, Marcos Baghdatis.
Hampered by a recurring knee injury, Nadal endured another humiliating exit in 2013 as Belgian world number 135 Steve Darcis won 7-6, 7-6, 6-4 in the first round.
A ruthless 6-3, 7-5, 6-4 demolition of out-classed Czech Tomas Berdych in the final gave Nadal his eighth Grand Slam title. But the good news is that it will come with me at one point.More news: By the numbers: Messi and Ronaldo's knockout ducks; Kylian Mbappe emulates Pele
- Trump narrows Supreme Court list, to name nominee July 9
- LeBron James agrees to 4-year, $154M contract with LA Lakers
- Clippers DeAndre Jordan opts out of contract, becomes free agent
- Samsung phones are sending photos to random contacts without permission
- Germany eliminated from the World Cup
- Saudi Arabia not confirming Trump's 2M barrels
- India Preparing for Cut in Oil Imports From Iran
- Hosts Russia shock Spain in penalty kick thriller
- North Korea nuclear programme ‘can be dismantled in year’
- Dwight Howard Wants To Come Back To The Lakers & Play Alongside LeBron