They are tougher and smarter than these rough criminal elelments (sic) that bad immigration laws allow into our country. It also expresses the fear and outrage among immigrant communities who feel that ICE is terrorizing their neighborhoods. We're afraid in what is purported to be the world's greatest deliberative body to have the debates and the discussions necessary to compromise that will entail between Democrats and Republicans to be able to move forward.
But then there are other colleagues of yours, Democratic colleagues, who have said, "Yes, let's abolish ICE".
ICE has come under fire from Democratic Sens. President Trump earlier today tweeted, quote, "the liberal left, also known as the Democrats, want to get rid of ICE, who do a fantastic job, and want open borders".
Unfortunately, it appears that Democrats are more interested in manipulating the emotions of people upset by border and immigration enforcement than they are in passing immigration reform.More news: Veteran starts for Mexico against Brazil
He claims he was roughed up badly. "We need it gone", said organizer Carolina Bortolleto of the Connecticut Immigrant Rights Alliance. They say, quote, "abolishing ICE without changing President Trump's disastrous immigration policy will not solve the problem".
- Healthcare remains the top issue for registered Democrats (16 percent), followed by the economy (14 percent), the Reuters/Ipsos poll shows. A majority of voters have consistently supported giving DREAMers a path to citizenship. Maybe that's because voters think the government needs to be even more aggressive in deporting illegal immigrants.
Building a wall and taking on unfair global trade were perhaps the two most salient issues that sparked the movement of formerly Democratic voters in swing states such as Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania into Mr. Trump's winning ranks.
"Bernie calls for abolishing our entire immigration system, which is honestly way further to the left than exclusively abolishing ICE", Max Rivlin-Nadler, immigration and criminal justice reporter for The Appeal, argued in response to Sanders" statement.More news: 6 kids stabbed at birthday party; suspect wanted revenge, police say
"Calls to abolish ICE are an insult to these heroic law enforcement officers who make sacrifices every day to secure our borders, enforce our laws, and protect our safety and security", the White House said in a press release Wednesday, which included the slogan: "Save ICE".
And Rep. Jim McGovern, D-Mass., said, "It's time".
Gwen Graham wouldn't say she supported abolishing ICE. "I believe that it has become a deportation force, and I think you should separate the criminal justice from the immigration issues".
Is the debate over ICE's existence worth having? To that end, 80 percent favored hiring more immigration judges "to process people in custody faster". ICE's Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) meanwhile made 4,818 gang-related arrests in FY 2017 and seized more than 980,000 pounds of narcotics. The agents reportedly said that ICE is supposed track down drug cartel leaders, child pornographers and human traffickers; but instead, the letter said, agents are spending time and resources going after undocumented immigrants, and the agency is becoming a "political pawn".More news: Google lets 3rd-party app developers read your emails
- Jordan insists he didn't know about alleged OSU sex abuse
- North Korea is not denuclearizing. Yet
- Wimbledon will not show England World Cup match against Colombia
- Former Malaysian PM Najib arrested in graft probe
- Mbappe: Real Madrid speaks on ‘agreement’ with PSG
- Meghan Markle's royal wardrobe is worth $1 million, report says
- Ant-Man And The Wasp: Rate And Discuss With Spoilers
- Wimbledon: Serena Williams defeats Kristina Mladenovic and advances to the fourth round
- Donald Jr. Rips Montana's Tester as Schumer's 'Liberal Lapdog'
- ATP Wimbledon: Rafael Nadal topples Sela. Del Potro and Edmund march on