Just 21 months after taking the hotseat, initially on a temporary basis, England will face Croatia for a place in the World Cup final having beaten surprise package Sweden 2-0 in the quarter-finals in Samara.
Supporters almost blew the roof off Bradleys Sports Bar at AFC Fyle in Wesham when the Three Lions scored the goals which gave England a 2-0 win.
It was 1990 when England last qualified for the semi-finals of a World Cup and that team, including the likes of Gary Lineker and Paul Gascoigne, returned home to national acclaim. "We know there is still a big game ahead but we are feeling good, confident".
"We've got every chance to repeat that". "We have an outstanding mentality in these players, a humility and recognition of where they were 18 months ago and the work needed to get to here".
"We know that in years to come they will be stronger but today was a huge opportunity for us and not something we wanted to miss out on".More news: Rock-solid Brazil living up to billing as World Cup favourites
"A few pints will go flying when we win, I'm sure".
But now, after 24 years, the Swedes finally have a new World Cup story to talk about and remember.
Maguire is only the fourth player to score their first goal for England in a knockout game in a World Cup.
After England won a corner, Maguire got his head on a handsome ball from Ashley Young to give the Three Lions the lead just 30 minutes into the match.
Gareth Southgate's side have found the net 11 times in Russian Federation to match the record set by the victorious 1996 side.More news: Anti-immigration U.S. policy protests on, 17 held
The more worldwide tournaments these players played at, the worse it seemed to get.
Even if England does not win in Russian Federation or even make the final, there is still plenty more ground for this song to cover in 2018.
He joked: "I'm not David Beckham, so we're in trouble".
"Football's coming to homes everywhere". If they win, they will play either France or Belgium in the final, held on Sunday July 15.
"We do not want to stop, we will try to play our best game".More news: Former Navy SEAL: Thailand Cave Rescue Is Like 'Climbing Mount Everest'
Now they are a main threat and a useful weapon and with no small thanks to Allan Russell, who is the man in charge of their set pieces.
- North Korea is not denuclearizing. Yet
- 6 kids stabbed at birthday party; suspect wanted revenge, police say
- Meghan Markle's royal wardrobe is worth $1 million, report says
- Google lets 3rd-party app developers read your emails
- EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt Resigns
- England rocked by injury to star striker ahead of Sweden tie
- Donald Trump urged to avoid controversial Supreme Court pick
- Jordan insists he didn't know about alleged OSU sex abuse
- Mbappe: Real Madrid speaks on ‘agreement’ with PSG
- Goleta Santa Barbara Fires Latest: Wind-Driven Blaze Destroys Homes and Forces Evacuations