Four of 12 Thai schoolboys were rescued from a flooded cave on Sunday in a daring and unsafe operation to save the children and their soccer coach who have been trapped underground for more than two weeks.
At the time Trump tweeted reports indicated that four to six of the boys had been rescued from the cave.
Monsoon storm clouds could bring rain at any moment, which would further flood the cave where the 12 boys, aged 11 to 16, and their 25-year-old coach have been cut off by rising water.
The cave is a karstic cave complex under the Doi Nang Non mountain range that lies on the border between Thailand and Myanmar. "We're still at war with water and time", he told reporters.More news: Meghan Markle's royal wardrobe is worth $1 million, report says
An official from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation found the unclaimed belongings of the group at the cave entrance and alerted the local authorities that the group has got stranded in the caves.
While the boys have been regaining their strength after rescuers took them high energy foods, and experts have been training them in diving techniques, for the unsafe and highly technical dives required to escape.
The second rescue mission to retrieve the eight remaining boys and their soccer coach trapped inside a Thai cave must overcome a number of challenges if it is to be successful.
USA technology tycoon Elon Musk said on Twitter that his team is working on a "tiny, kid-size submarine" to carry the boys out of the caves. The plan was to have the boys swim out of the cave with the help of divers.
"Now and in the next three or four days, the conditions are ideal (for evacuation) in terms of the water, the weather and the boys' health". They gave a deadline of 9:00 am to clear out, setting off a frenzy of moving and packing.More news: North Korea is not denuclearizing. Yet
Chiang Rai provincial acting Governor Narongsak Osatanakorn said Saturday that experts told him new rain could shrink the unflooded space where the boys are sheltering to just 10 square meters.
U.S. President Donald Trump said the United States was working "very closely" with the Thai government to free the boys."Very courageous and talented people!" he tweeted.
A mammoth response operation including a medical unit, ambulance and helicopter for every boy is waiting outside the cave for the team to emerge.
The mission reportedly paused due to depleted oxygen levels in the cave.
The entire nation is glued to the media coverage of the rescue mission, and Thai authorities have insisted they will not compromise on the safety of the trapped group.More news: The Golden State Warriors Have Broken the National Basketball Association
- Goleta Santa Barbara Fires Latest: Wind-Driven Blaze Destroys Homes and Forces Evacuations
- SCOTUS: Trump interviews senator as possible replacement for Kennedy
- Google lets 3rd-party app developers read your emails
- Brazil vs Belgium: Tite happy with ‘below-par’ Neymar
- ATP Wimbledon: Rafael Nadal topples Sela. Del Potro and Edmund march on
- Rock-solid Brazil living up to billing as World Cup favourites
- England rocked by injury to star striker ahead of Sweden tie
- USA job growth strong; unemployment rate rises to 4 percent
- Ant-Man And The Wasp: Rate And Discuss With Spoilers
- Lewis Hamilton: 'Insane' Silverstone as bumpy as the Nordschleife