The feature was created to shield iPhone users against passcode-cracking devices used by law enforcement, essentially immobilizing any attempts at accessing the device after it's been in locked mode for an hour.
Afonin's method works by extending the one-hour countdown of Apple's USB Restricted Mode.
"Once the police officer seizes an iPhone, he or she would need to immediately connect that iPhone to a compatible USB accessory to prevent USB Restricted Mode lock after one hour", he said. So if you want to enable USB Restricted Mode, you had better go tend to the red notification on the settings icon and upgrade to the latest update.More news: England rocked by injury to star striker ahead of Sweden tie
What ElcomSoft note is that any USB accessory can be plugged into the iOS device within the hour safe window, and this prevents the timeout from ever being reset.
A Lightning port on an iPhone 6S. "Prior to iOS 11.4.1, isolating the iPhone inside a Faraday bag and connecting it to a battery pack would be enough to safely transport it to the lab", he concludes. When you connect the iPhone to a computer, the two devices exchange cryptographic keys and establish trust.
As a concession to user convenience, the restrictions on the Lightning port only comes into effect if the Lightning port is not now being used, and the device has not been unlocked for more than a hour.
There should be no reason why iOS 11.4.1 has caused issues on your device.More news: Boys Have Been Rescued From Thailand Cave
But the same Elcomsoft says the workaround it discovered back in May still works on iOS 11.4.1. However, Apple had not released the details on its security page at the time of this posting, but expect them to appear sometime soon.
Apple is working away on iOS 12 at the moment, but it's still pushing out updates for iOS 11.
Of course, the exploit requires that the attacker gain physical access to the phone within one hour of the last time it was unlocked, but according to Afonin, this is not much of a problem.
We will have to wait and see how Apple responds to the situation.More news: The Houston Rockets Are Reportedly ‘Determined’ To Get Carmelo Anthony
- Merkel's Bavarian ally hopeful SPD coalition partner will back migrant centres
- Willian coy on Chelsea future amid Barcelona links
- Goleta Santa Barbara Fires Latest: Wind-Driven Blaze Destroys Homes and Forces Evacuations
- Tottenham Hotspur's Harry Kane hoping to inspire next generation by reaching final
- Delight for England fans - but minority branded 'total disgrace' by police
- Brett Kavanaugh Revealed as Trump's Latest Supreme Court Nominee
- Trump makes Brexit deal 'priority' ahead of United Kingdom trip
- USA job growth strong; unemployment rate rises to 4 percent
- Parents of rescued boys now at hospital told 'no hugging' yet
- Ostapenko & Kerber in to Wimbledon last four