Triumphant in her two previous Wimbledon tilts in 2015 and 2016, Williams's victory also extended her winning streak on the London grass to 19 matches. Serena's miracle run at Wimbledon, just her fourth tournament back from maternity leave, couldn't really be ending here on Centre Court against Camila Giorgi, the 52nd-ranked player in the world, could it?
Having shaken off the rust following her lengthy lay-off after the birth of her daughter Olympia in September, Williams is on the verge of a 10th Wimbledon final appearance.
It was therefore a surprise to see Giorgi win the first set on Centre Court. The result also means all of the top 10 seeds in the women's draw have been eliminated.
And she wasn't the only one to mastermind a comeback from a set down, either, as semi-final opponent Goerges also took the more hard route to ousting Bertens.More news: Amazon Prime Day: All you need to know
The 26-year-old, who was contemplating retirement last year after losing her enthusiasm for the sport, was the first Dutch woman to reach the Wimbledon quarter-finals since Michaella Krajicek in 2007. For whatever reason, today I was so calm.
The Italian's comments ahead of the match that she does not follow tennis will have raised eyebrows but, competing in her first Grand Sam quarterfinal, she troubled Williams significantly with her movement and power and took the first set. I was just trying to stay focused on my serve. Be a good friend and let her win'.
This is Williams' 18th consecutive win at the Championships - she missed last year's tournament as she prepared to have her first child.More news: NATO Braces For Trump, White House Says Business As Usual
"I'm not feeling the pressure because I'm not looking on the seeded or who is left or not", Kerber said of her improved title chances.
She hit one at 122 miles per hour against Giorgi, delivered six of her seven aces in the final set, and won 44 of the last 54 points she served.
In the men's draw, Juan Martin del Potro completed a hard-fought fourth-round win over Gilles Simon 7-6 (7-1) 7-6 (7-5) 5-7 7-6 (7-5).More news: Goleta Santa Barbara Fires Latest: Wind-Driven Blaze Destroys Homes and Forces Evacuations
- How significant is Trump's Supreme Court pick?
- Fest possible in dream France-Belgium World Cup semifinal
- Brett Kavanaugh Revealed as Trump's Latest Supreme Court Nominee
- Tottenham Hotspur's Harry Kane hoping to inspire next generation by reaching final
- England rocked by injury to star striker ahead of Sweden tie
- Brazil vs Belgium: Tite happy with ‘below-par’ Neymar
- EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt Resigns
- Travis Pastrana To Attempt Three Daring Evel Knievel Jumps
- Parents of rescued boys now at hospital told 'no hugging' yet
- Trump lawyer holds off on Mueller interview OK