The streaming service's maneuvering (and not incidentally, expensive Emmy campaigning) paid off with 112 nominations - a significant increase over a year ago, edging HBO's 108.More news: The Houston Rockets Are Reportedly ‘Determined’ To Get Carmelo Anthony
Game of Thrones is the show leading the way in this year's Emmy awards race, with 22 nominations. As chief content officer Ted Sarandos noted in a statement, the service's tally encompassed 40 titles, showcasing its "varied and expansive slate".
There was also an added bonus for Wiley-she landed her second Emmy nomination for Guest Actress in a Drama Series for her Hulu series.More news: Brett Kavanaugh Revealed as Trump's Latest Supreme Court Nominee
Best known for her role on Netflix's "Orange Is The New Black", Wiley is now starring on Hulu's critically acclaimed, Emmy-winning dystopian drama "The Handmaid's Tale". Sandra Oh became the first Asian woman to be nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series when she was honored for her work on BBC America's Killing Eve this year.
The show about noble families vying for the Iron Throne faces tough competition from perennial favorite comedy sketch show "Saturday Night Live" and HBO stablemate "Westworld" with 21 nominations each.More news: Trump dodges London protests for tea with Queen Elizabeth
The short-lived revival of "Roseanne", canceled because of star Roseanne Barr's racist tweet in May, drew only one major nomination: a supporting actress nod for Laurie Metcalf. Medfield's Uzo Aduba has been nominated for Supporting Actress for "Orange Is the New Black" three times (winning twice, in 2014 and 2015), while Wayland and West Roxbury's Taylor Schilling was nominated for Lead Actress in a Comedy Series in 2014.
- England's squad all train ahead of World Cup semi-final against Croatia
- Who stepped up against Utah at Summer League?
- Trump makes Brexit deal 'priority' ahead of United Kingdom trip
- Ostapenko & Kerber in to Wimbledon last four
- US May List Tariffs On $200 Billion More Chinese Products
- Boys Have Been Rescued From Thailand Cave
- Willian coy on Chelsea future amid Barcelona links
- Fest possible in dream France-Belgium World Cup semifinal
- NATO Braces For Trump, White House Says Business As Usual
- Judge warns Trump administration to stick to deadline on family reunification