If she wins on Saturday, Williams will become the first to lift the Venus Rosewater Dish since Goolagong triumphed 38 years ago. "In case no one's told you yet today, I want to remind you that you are greater than your circumstances", she wrote two days out, as if aware she was building up to something worth commemorating.
In the first set, the experienced Kerber broke twice while the only break-point Ostapenko earned was when she was leading 3-2.
But against Williams, who hit the fewest unforced errors among the four remaining players before the semifinals, she had a mountain to climb.
When Williams left the game soon after claiming her 23rd Grand Slam at the 2017 Australian Open, it appeared her streak might be under threat.More news: Stormy Daniels arrested in 'political motivated act'
Two months away from turning 37, and just 10 months after giving birth to her first child, this extraordinary athlete now has the opportunity to relive the 2016 Wimbledon final, when she played and defeated Kerber.
She was, instead, going to employ spectacular defense and solid, steady play, while letting her opponent, Jelena Ostapenko, be the one to determine the outcomes of almost every point.
"When I don't have anything to lose, I can just play so free and that's what I'm doing".
"I think it is a completely new match". Every year for a couple years she comes out to Wimbledon, has supported me. She won here I don't know how many times.More news: Trump lawyer holds off on Mueller interview OK
"I have a lot of respect of her as a person, but also as a tennis player".
Following the announcement Williams said: "We've always had a wonderful friendship. Yeah, I have to be ready for the match of my life".
The Latvian stuck to her guns, continuing to go all out at the start of the second set, but her radar was way off and Kerber quickly opened up a 3-0 lead, with one break of serve. I was limiting myself. I want to get as many as I can, starting with - I still have a match to win, so I'm not even there yet'. Williams paused, realizing she, too, was getting ahead of herself. But the American discovered to be human and double faulted as Goerges played her best shots of the match to create her first break point chances.More news: Judge orders Paul Manafort moved to suburban Washington jail
- Fortnite launches season 5 to its 125 million users
- Boys Have Been Rescued From Thailand Cave
- England's squad all train ahead of World Cup semi-final against Croatia
- Thai cave rescue volunteer diver dies from lack of oxygen
- Cave rescue diver hails 'incredibly strong' boys
- Judge warns Trump administration to stick to deadline on family reunification
- Travis Pastrana To Attempt Three Daring Evel Knievel Jumps
- Trump's surprisingly conventional Supreme Court pick Edward Morrissey
- Who stepped up against Utah at Summer League?
- Emmys 2018 Nomination Snubs - Who Was Left Off List