"Knowing Anthony the way I know him I think if you can get the best out of him, he's up there ability-wise with the best in the league".
However, The Times report that Martial is still very keen to leave United and has privately conceded that he will be unable to win over Mourinho.
Mourinho's job, of course, is to get the best out of his players.
Mourinho does not think the 22-year-old has the focus or consistency required to be a top performer, and feels that has been underlined in pre-season.More news: Chelsea sack manager Antonio Conte after just two seasons in charge
The France forward - who has been linked with Chelsea, Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain - has become frustrated after finding opportunities limited under Jose Mourinho following the January arrival of Alexis Sanchez.
The German champions, however, can not afford United's £60m asking price and would need to include the likes of Arturo Vidal or centre-back Jerome Boateng in any deal.
'I think sometimes it is hard to get to know him as a person, as a character because of the way he is.
The domestic transfer window closes on August 9, but English clubs can still sell players to other European clubs until the end of the month in most cases, while the deadline in France does not close until mid-September. Where he's with his team on the training camp, completely isolated from the external world, where they focus just on football, where the dimensions of the game can only motivate. That's what I'm sure his bosses above him expect.More news: United States oil inventories increase in week ending July 13
"So they play for the team, and only for the team, and the team is the most important thing, and they do everything to try to succeed".
"During a season, you can have a big match then a smaller match, then one even smaller, then you can lose your focus".
Mourinho has also questioned Pogba's focus by claiming he thrived in Russian Federation because it was the flawless environment for him with no outside distractions.
"In the World Cup, the direction of the emotion, of the responsibility, of the big decisions is always growing..." This feeds the motivation.More news: Thomas: To wear the yellow jersey is a massive honour
- Fortnite’s in-game purchases have made Epic over $1 billion so far
- Donald Trump to Iran President
- When to MISS the longest Lunar Eclipse of the century
- USA pushes United Nations to maintain sanctions pressure on N Korea
- Manchester United target double swoop for Croatia stars
- Adam Schiff, top intel Democrat, says Trump 'acts like he's compromised'
- Stocks end slightly lower as traders shrug off trade talk
- Multiple people injured in Toronto shooting
- Rahul Gandhi sweeps Modi in embrace, says no aversion to BJP
- India becomes latest country to scrap tax on sanitary towels