But it was Smith-Rowe who stole the show with his 47th-minute equaliser after Luciano Vietto had given the La Liga side the lead with a stooping header from an Angel Correa cut-back four minutes before half-time.
The win means Atletico now occupies the 7th position on the log with 3 points from one game, while the Gunners occupies the 9th position with no point from one game.
"He grew up in the academy and we need to give young players the opportunity to stay with us, work every day and play matches like today", Emery added.
The 53 year-old has struggled to become a favourite with the fans at the Emirates after failing to meet promises.More news: Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola says more records 'impossible'
Most of the players will get a chance at redemption this season.
The highly entertaining game ended in a 1-1 draw after 90 minutes.
Ozil, who caused a furore when he quit German national duty claiming racism, was rested after his World Cup exertions as 17-year-old midfielder Emile Smith Rowe took centre-stage in Singapore. He's a very good person, a very good professional.
"It's a shame to see Arsene Wenger leaving the club but this is football and you have to move forward". "Very young kids, but we have been working with them these days to integrate them into a group which has been working together for seven years, with a very strong defensive structure".More news: Met Office rain radar: When will it rain where YOU are?
The Gunners and Atletico will stay in Singapore for the rest of July to play one more match.
Smith-Rowe, who along with fellow teenagers Reiss Nelson and Guendouzi impressed throughout, then levelled with a brilliant goal, slaloming in from the left, beating two defenders and then curling past Adan.
"I am very happy with the work of the lads", Simeone said.
Smith Rowe equalised with a well-taken solo strike to leave Emery happy with his side's overall display - even if they failed from the spot in the penalty shoot-out.More news: Trump Warns Iran: ‘Never, Ever Threaten the United States Again’
- Borussia Dortmund pip Manchester City 1-0
- Republicans launch bid to impeach United States deputy attorney general
- Avenatti says Cohen has more Trump tapes
- The moon will turn blood red in Canberra early on Saturday morning
- Mbappe, Modric on 10-man list for Federation Internationale de Football Association best player award
- European Union agrees to buy more United States soy, import more liquified gas
- LeBron James reveals one big regret about oldest son
- Shep Smith calls out ‘personal friend’ Bill Shine for banning CNN reporter
- Facebook in record plunge after shocking growth report
- Demi Lovato's friend asked for ‘no sirens’ in 911 call