The man was injured after the polar bear attacked him whilst he was leading a group of tourists to a remote Arctic archipelago on an apparent sightseeing tour, Norwegian authorities have confirmed.
Hapag-Lloyd Cruises said it was "self-defence".
A polar bear was shot and killed after it attacked a guard guiding tourists off a cruise ship on Saturday, officials said.
Spokeswoman Negar Etminan said: 'He was flown out, was responsive, and is now undergoing medical treatment'.More news: NY moves to oust cable provider Spectrum
He was flown to hospital on Spitsbergen island, but was not in a life-threatening condition. His identity was not released.
After the attack, the second guard was forced to kill the bear in an act of "self-defense" according to a Hapag Lloyd spokesperson.
Meanwhile fellow Twitter user Gareth Stringer commented: "Polar bear shot for being a Polar Bear". Their numbers continue to decline as they face the threat of becoming endangered in the near future.
Three years ago, a Czech man who travelled to Svalbard to watch a solar eclipse suffered face and arm injuries after being attacked in his tent. The area is known for its polar bears, sea lions and stark landscapes.More news: Mark Zuckerberg just lost almost $16 billion in one day
She said all cruise ships traveling in the northern region are obliged to have polar bear guards on board. "As soon as such an animal approaches, the shore leave would be stopped immediately".
"When you are in this ecosystem as a tourist, as an explorer or as a scientist, you have the responsibility to follow the protocols to ensure that you stay safe and that you don't interfere with the wild behavior of polar bears". "The cruise operator is respected in the destinations as a responsible partner and the experts actively inform the guests about the appropriate behavior required in these areas".
A German cruise line company has been criticised after the killing of a polar bear that attacked an employee. "We are extremely sorry that this incident has happened".More news: Mission: Impossible - Fallout Box Office Day 3: Has A Very Good Weekend!
- Durant Laughed At CJ McCollum & The Blazers Chances of Winning A Championship
- Amazon earnings top forecasts on cloud computing, ad growth
- Greece mourns as death toll from wildfires reaches 81
- Galaxy Note 9 will relieve your battery woes, per Samsung's latest teaser
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe backs opposition on eve of election
- Israel releases Palestinian teenager who struck soldier from prison
- Newcastle agree deal to sign Japan’s Yoshinori Muto from Mainz
- Nick Jonas And Priyanka Chopra Are Engaged
- Tour de France: Froome 'not going anywhere' after loss
- Mkhitaryan Is Happy That Aubameyang And Sokratis Are At Arsenal