Despite Saturday's game drawing over 100,000 people to watch United and Liverpool on Saturday, Mourinho said he wouldn't have paid to watch his team in action and bemoaned the lack of big names on show in the US this summer.
The United boss said: "No".
"In every pre-season it happens the same, with every club, which is that the manager wants more".
"It's our nature, you always want more for your team".
"I'm not a big fan of one player starting the season with one club and then a couple of weeks later the window is open, he moves to another club and he plays against his former club - I really don't like that".More news: Polar Bear Killed After Attacking Cruise Ship Worker In Arctic
United have been linked with defenders Toby Alderweireld, Harry Maguire and Yerry Mina as well as Chelsea star Willian. "They have great players for sure but we'll be ready for them".
Mourinho has had to contend with post-World Cup holidays, a lengthening injury list and difficulties in the transfer market while on the five-game trip in the United States.
But Mourinho, who has bemoaned the lack of established players he has on United's USA tour, says that is too soon after the World Cup and the start should be a week later.
"The positive feeling is to win the first Premier League match", Mourinho said before the match.
Mourinho feels that he will be able to make one more new signing, and has insisted that it would "not be a drama" if the Red Devils fail to secure another.More news: 2nd firefighter dies battling California wildfires
"The players we have bought - one is a goalkeeper cover, one is a 19-year-old kid, so in fact we have one new player, which is Fred.
I wouldn't have spent my money to watch these two teams", Mourinho said.
"We're not playing here to improve the team or the dynamic, we're playing here to just survive and have some not very ugly results".
With Man City running away with the league last season and Liverpool strengthening considerably over the summer, challenging for the title will be hard, as will playing a style of football that will entertain the fans after 2017/18's dour displays.
"I agree totally with the window closing at the same time the Premier League starts".More news: Sean Paul Talks Demi Lovato Drug Overdose And His Own Struggles
"I told you guys the other day in the media that I don't think we have worse players than any other team in the league, that's first of all".
- Mars making closest approach to Earth in 15 years this weekend
- President threatens to shut government
- Colombian gang puts a $70,000 bounty on Sombra the drug-sniffing dog
- Israel releases Palestinian teenager who struck soldier from prison
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe backs opposition on eve of election
- Israel navy intercepts activist boat trying to break Gaza blockade
- What does Mueller have? Manafort trial offers glimpse
- Former Trump Lawyer: Giuliani Is Wrecking The Case
- Eight states suing Trump administration, company over 3D guns
- Donald Trump knew in advance about Russian Federation meeting, says Michael Cohen