"If you go out and you want to buy groceries, you need a picture on a card, you need ID", he said at the event at the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa.
On the social media platform Twitter, the immediate reaction to Trump's comments ranged from bewilderment to ridicule - with many, including the CNN reporter who covered the rally, Jim Acosta, noting that photo ID is not required to purchase groceries in the United States.More news: Durant Laughed At CJ McCollum & The Blazers Chances of Winning A Championship
Trump praised DeSantis as "a tough, brilliant cookie" and predicts: "He's going to be your next governor".
"There's no doubt that the Trump bump is real and DeSantis got a lift from it", said Steve Vancore, a Democratic political candidate.
DeSantis also made his pitch to the crowd and thanked Trump for his leadership.
He said he had liked to "be a little wild, have a little fun" during rallies, adding that it is "a lot easier to act presidential than do what I do".More news: Thankful fawn licks officer after rescue from California wildfires
He said at a Tampa rally on Tuesday: "After a while, you forget who's the senator".
'Only American citizens should vote in American elections.
Polling suggests that DeSantis has overcome Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam's once-commanding lead, due nearly exclusively to the president's endorsement.
DeSantis has campaigned with Fox's Sean Hannity and Donald Trump Jr. and uses humor in a new ad to show his alliance with the president, teaching one of his two children to "build the wall" with blocks.More news: Zimbabwe's Mugabe backs opposition on eve of election
They also come as his administration considers more than doubling its planned tariffs on US$200 billion in Chinese imports, ratcheting up pressure on Beijing to return to the negotiating table.
- How to watch Manchester United vs. Real Madrid, ICC
- US, EU to first tackle steel, aluminum tariffs: Secy Mnuchin
- President threatens to shut government
- Eight states suing Trump administration, company over 3D guns
- Newcastle agree deal to sign Japan’s Yoshinori Muto from Mainz
- Trump ‘looking into’ Americans 3D-printing own guns
- USA detects new activity at North Korean nuclear missile factory
- Mission: Impossible - Fallout Box Office Day 3: Has A Very Good Weekend!
- Rand Paul to support Brett Kavanaugh for Supreme Court
- McManaman: Real Madrid need Bale to take more prominent role