Tuesday, 14 August 2018
Latest news
Main » USA detects new activity at North Korean nuclear missile factory

USA detects new activity at North Korean nuclear missile factory

01 August 2018

The official declined to comment on USA spy satellite material that has detected renewed activity at the North Korean factory that produced the country's first intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) capable of reaching the United States.

United States spy agencies have found evidence that North Korea is building ballistic missiles, it was claimed last night.

Vice President Mike Pence, whose father fought in the Korean War, was scheduled to attend an "honorable carry ceremony" at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam to mark the arrival of the remains on USA soil.

There is no indication that North Korea is developing new technology, but if confirmed the latest intelligence would raise doubts over the broad commitment Kim Jong-un made to denuclearisation at his summit with President Trump last month.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee last week that North Korea was continuing to produce fuel for nuclear bombs despite its pledge to denuclearize.

More news: Israel releases Palestinian teenager who struck soldier from prison

It said that imagery collected by the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency in recent weeks also pointed to "ongoing work on at least one Hwasong-15" at the Sanumdong site.

"We see them going to work, just as before", a United States official told The Post.

An official told Reuters news agency that photos and infrared imaging indicates vehicles are moving in and out of the Sanumdong facility, but that it is unclear how far along the missile construction could be.

USA officials also are eager to resume searches in North Korea for more remains, an effort that has been stalled for more than a decade due to rising nuclear tensions.

The Korean generals were discussing ways to implement the inter-Korean summit agreements on non-nuclear military issues, but no huge announcement is expected from the talks at the border village of Panmunjom.

More news: Donald Trump knew in advance about Russian Federation meeting, says Michael Cohen

DPAA deputy director Rear Admiral Jon Kreitz said he saw the remains transfer as an important step that will lead to more recovery operations in North Korea.

The football-field-size building surrounded by a high wall and high-rise residential towers was externally completed by 2003, according to historical satellite photos, and United States intelligence agencies believe it has been operational for at least 10 years.

North Korea has carried out a total of six nuclear tests, the most recent of which took place in September a year ago.

There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea, ' Trump said in a Twitter post after his historic summit with Kim in Singapore last month.

"It's my duty to provide assurance for all countries in the world, Asia, including North Korea, that the safety in Indonesia is stable. They have missing, France has missing, Americans have - there's a whole lot of us", Mattis added, referencing the fact that service members from other nations in the UN coalition that fought in the Korean War are unaccounted for.

More news: After criticism, Trump delays second Putin meeting to next year

But tensions have ebbed as diplomatic efforts advanced and Kim announced his country would suspend long-range missile and nuclear tests.

USA detects new activity at North Korean nuclear missile factory