Over 4,200 personnel assigned to the blaze have carved containment lines around 35 percent of the perimeter of the blaze. Roughly 15,000 residents have been evacuated.
Grass Valley firefighters found a dish and provided the two newfound friends with fresh water as other firefighters searched for a way to contain the pair for the SPCA; they were able to find an animal carrier.
The flames were sparked July 23 by the mechanical failure of a vehicle, Cal Fire said.
It's become the sixth most destructive wildfire in California state history.
In a marked shift from last weekend, when numerous fires were out of control and as little as five per cent contained, crews battling the key fire fronts are now reporting containment as high as 35 per cent, and in some cases, 50 per cent containment. The potential cause of that fire was reported to be a motorcycle collision, and according to a California Highway Patrol website, officers were dispatched to a major-injury motorcycle collision at mile marker 2.74 on Hwy.More news: Trump Holds Florida Rally
CalFire says the blazes about 14 miles (22 kilometers) apart are threatening 12,000 homes.
The head of Florida's Forest Service is coordinating with Cal Fire to send help.
In the past several days, smoke from the California wildfires has stretched all the way to Oklahoma.
Six people have died in the blaze, including three members of the same family, two firefighters and a man who defied an evacuation order.More news: Apple reaches US$1 trillion in stock market valuation
"What we're seeing in California right now is more destructive, larger fires burning at rates that we have historically never seen", he said. "I would suspect there are more fires to come".
"You can expect that - unfortunately - to continue intensifying in California and throughout the Southwest".
Brown said the changing climate and weather pattern has put California at odds with Mother Nature.
When asked about the potential for larger fires this summer and fall, Brown said: "I don't have a crystal ball here but I would not be surprised if there were more fires..."More news: USA detects new activity at North Korean nuclear missile factory
- Eight states suing Trump administration, company over 3D guns
- John Kelly Allegedly To Stay In Job Through 2020
- Sean Paul Talks Demi Lovato Drug Overdose And His Own Struggles
- Trump rejects conservative Koch donor network
- Trump says he's willing to meet Iran's president 'anytime'
- Apple in touching distance of $US1 trillion mark after profits jump
- Urban Meyer and the God Complex in College Sports
- Tesla reports biggest loss in its history
- President threatens to shut government
- Trump to impose sanctions over Turkey's detaining of pastor